Walters wonder goal as Hawick slump to seven goal mauling

editorial image

Hawick Royal Albert 1

Coldstream 7


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Albert Park

A DYNAMIC 12-minute second-half purple patch that brought four goals helped guide Coldstream to a runaway victory.

At the interval, however, nobody would have predicted a scoreline such as this.

Hawick had more than held their own during the first period and the game was in balance.

Almost on the hour mark, though, it all started to go wrong for the home side.

Defender Jack McGhie was red-carded for a handling offence on the goal line and Coldstream were awarded a penalty from which they scored.

From there on in, the walls came tumbling down, as far as Hawick was concerned.

The Albert were simply washed away by the Streamers.

Hawick manager Lawrie Dunn told TheSouthern: “We were the better side in the first half.

“Our attitude had been good, the boys had worked their socks off, we had played some good stuff and I thought we were in with a great chance of getting a result.

“After Jack McGhie was sent off for what the referee thought was deliberate handball, the game changed completely.

“Coldstream hit us with three quick goals and there was no way back after that. We battled to the finish, though, and the players deserve credit for that.”

During an even opening period, Coldstream broke the deadlock in the 16th minute when Sean Simpson took advantage of some poor marking to drive a cross ball into the net.

Hawick then showed what they had to offer and Lawrie Cannon, a young player who has been outstanding in all aspects throughout the season, had an effort well saved by Coldstream keeper Mark Walters following a Kris O’Neil corner kick.

Minutes later, a good passing move sparked off by Peter Keenan ended in the ball being sprayed back to the Albert striker, who hooked a shot wide.

Hawick continued to push for an equaliser and Martin Patton squandered a chance after being set up by Ronald Fleming. Towards the break, O’Neil was unfortunate not to get his name on the scoresheet with a well-struck drive that skimmed off the bar.

In the 59th minute, Coldstream edged further ahead. On seeing a header cannon off the upright, Kieran Ainslie drove the rebound goalwards.

The ball hit McGhie on the leg and then on his hand and a penalty was awarded. After the unfortunate McGhie had been given his marching orders, Martyn Tait netted from the spot.

Two minutes later, Coldstream did it all again with a stunning goal from Lee Lambert, who found the net with a glorious angled shot from way out.

The flow of the game had now changed dramatically and in the 65th minute Stuart Coyle put the homesters further into arrears by cutting inside from an Ainslie pass and placing a shot out of the reach of Albert keeper Matt Liddle.

Within six minutes, Coldstream made it a nap hand. A mighty kick-out from Walters was caught by the wind, bounced in the box and sailed over the head of Liddle to nestle in the back of the net.

Coldstream were now well and truly in command and in the 82nd minute added to their tally through a second penalty from Tait.

The Royalists got a goal back when O’Neil was downed in the box and Jason Wood scored from the spot.

But Coldstream had the last say by completing the scoring through a Coyle strike.

Hawick Royal Albert: M. Liddle, I. Zenati, J. Wood, L. Cannon, J. McGhie, R.. Fleming, D May (S. Drummond), K. McCulloch, K. O’Neil, P. Keenan (J. Paterek), M. Patton (A. Noble).