Uphill all the way for Kelso United

editorial image

Tynecastle 4 Kelso United 1


THERE was plenty to talk about at this encounter at Fernieside Recreation Park in Edinburgh on Saturday with five goals, three sending’s off and two penalties.

United saw Steven Tait and Chris Black dismissed while Tynecastle’s Jamie Speed also received a red card from referee Colin Pensom.

“It was always going to be an uphill struggle,” admitted United manager Prof Blaikie.

“With many players missing through suspension, work commitments and holidays, the boys run their socks off but lapses in defence cost us dear.

“It is not going to be any easier next week with both Steven and Chris missing.”

United got off to a flyer and opened the scoring after only four minutes. The ball was won in midfield with some tenacious play from Tait who found Shane Bonnington on the left wing. The youngster weaved his way into the box and was upended by tall central defender Gavin McCarthy. Jordan Lauder stepped up and fired the spot kick into the corner of the net beyond the diving Paul Cadger.

Tynecastle increased the pressure and eventually got their equaliser midway through the first half. After some good build up play in midfield the ball was played to striker Michael Dick at the edge of the area whose right foot shot flew past Scott Dowie in the United goal.

The home side should have made it two a minute later when Dowie fouled Tynecastle’s Ousman See trying to cut out a cross from the left. Referee Pensom had no hesitation pointing to the spot however Dean Cummings penalty rattled off the post and away to safety.

United came back and Lauder robbed central defender Ryan Ferguson to set Bonnington on his way down the right however the wingers shot hit the side netting.

The home side went in front after 36 minutes when a cross from the right found Dick whose touch found full back Bradley Scott running in to shoot home from eight yards.

Seven minutes before the break Tynecastle were down to ten men as midfielder Jamie Speed mistimed a tackle on Liam Hill and was promptly shown the red card. The United youngster unfortunately had to be stretchered off with a leg injury and was replaced by old war horse Peter McNulty.

The Edinburgh side increased their advantage with two minutes gone in the second half. The ball was driven up the left where winger Jamie Devlin crossed to the back post for Dick to knock home.

Midway through the second half and it was United who went down to ten men as Steven Tait was sent off for a foul on Scott in the middle of the park.

The Tynecastle fourth goal in the 70th minute was more or less a replica of their third as this time substitute Tony Muir galloped up the left and crossed to the back post for Devlin to shoot home from close range with Sean Angus static.

United’s day got worse eight minutes from time when Chris Black was shown to the dressing room for raising his hands to Devlin who had taken a kick at the Kelso defender but this was missed by referee Pensom.

Kelso United: S. Dowie, C. Black, S. Angus, D. Bowie, S. Tait, D. McNulty, S. Bonnington, L. Hill (P. McNulty 38), L. Menzies, B. Henman, J. Lauder.