United on the receiving end of eight-goal slaughter

Peebles number 10 Paul Murray? blasts the ball in for the opening goal
Peebles number 10 Paul Murray? blasts the ball in for the opening goal

Peebles Rovers8

Kelso United0

It was another goal fest for Rovers – having knocked seven past the Tweedsiders in a league encounter they went one better in this South Challenge Cup clash at Whitestone Park.

The home side were four up at half time with a double from Paul Murray plus goals from Daniel McAleavy and Frankie Arthur.

They kept up the pressure after the break with a two strikes from Scott Sutherland and James Young and Sean Meikle also getting on the score sheet.

A happy Peebles manager John O’Hara commented: “The boys played some good football and kept the momentum of the game going until the final whistle. I am absolutely delighted.”

Conversely, a clearly disappointed Kelso manager Scott Dowie admitted: “We made too many schoolboy errors which led to our downfall. You cannot make elementary mistakes against a side like Peebles and we were punished for it.”

The home team got their opener just after the 10 minute mark when a cross into the box was only partially cleared by United defender Dean Boyne and ended up at the feet of Murray on the penalty spot. The striker spun and fired a shot past keeper Willie Stewart, deputising for the injured Elliott Turnbull.

Although Peebles had most of the play it wasn’t until the half hour mark they added to their tally. United defender Dean Clark failed to cut out a cross and McAleavy ran in to drive the ball home.

Rovers made it three when visiting central defender Tommy Hazlett got in a tangle just outside the penalty box and Murray made no mistake with a precision shot from 12 yards.

In the 38th minute Arthur ran through unchallenged to knock past the helpless Stewart.

The second half had barely gone a minute before the home side increased their lead. A corner on the left was met at the near post by Young who flashed in a header.

A long ball from the back resulted in Sutherland slotting home before substitute Meikle was on hand to take a pass from the right and had no difficulty in firing home past Stewart.

The game was in its last minute when the home side made it eight. Good play down the left by substitute Donavan Ndiweni saw the youngster play the ball into Sutherland who swivelled to precision- place a right foot shot inside the upright.