United hit for six by lower-placed teams

Kelso United1


UNITED suffered their second defeat in four days when they were beaten by a 10-man Ormiston team on Saturday, writes George Riley.

Disappointed manager Prof Blakie commented: “We have thrown away six points this week as Ormiston and Selkirk are teams we should be beating, but we never raised our game against either of them.”

Ormiston broke the deadlock after 11 minutes when the ball broke to full back Chris Cornhill at the left edge of the box and the defender put his 20yd effort beyond United keeper Johnny Cowe.

United’s first sight of goal came on the quarter-hour mark when a corner from the left by Liam Wallace found Steven Tait unmarked at the back post, but the midfielder’s header went wide.

Ormiston had the ball in the net again when Conor Ramage ran down the middle and crossed for Brian McEwan, but the speedy wide man was adjudged to be offside by referee Paul Crosbie.

David Simmonds in the visitors’ goal then had to look lively to stop shots from Calum McClure and Des Burnett.

It was then Cowe’s turn to be called upon to make a double save – first from Richard Weir and then Kyle Auld.

Ormiston were down to 10 men on the hour when Jordan Young was shown his second yellow card by referee Crosbie, however, the East Lothian winger seemed to give the whistler some verbal comments and the red was flashed again. A free kick from 40yds by Graeme Gillie was missed by everybody in the box and just went wide.

Midway through the half United equalised. A good ball through the middle by McClure was collected by Liam Wallace, who passed wide to Burnett and the striker swept the ball back into the path of Wallace to knock into the net.

United pressed for the next five minutes and Gary McNulty almost put the home side in front when his header hit the post. This was swiftly followed by a Burnett drive which was well saved by ex-United man Simmonds.

The game was decided in the last minute of the match.Following a corner the ball broke to substitute Ian Adams, whose shot was parried by Cowe and fellow substitute Darren Carter was first to react and drive the ball home.

Kelso United: J. Cowe, J. McCutcheon (S. Angus 35), G. Mabon (L. Hill 72), D. McNulty, G. McNulty, S. Tait, C. McClure, G. Gillie, D. Burnett, L. Wallace, J. Lauder.