United foiled by poor finishing and good keeping

Kelso United 1

Duns 3


GEORGE RILEY reports from Woodside Park

UNITED paid the price for not converting their opportunities in front of goal and were defeated by an under-strength Duns team.

Kelso, despite top scorer Des Burnett being on holiday, should have had more goals on the scoresheet.

But some glaring misses and fine goalkeeping by Scott Lumsden in the Duns goal saw the Berwickshire men take the points.

The visitors took the lead after only four minutes. Pacey winger Gary Waddell ran down the left and crossed into the penalty box. The United defence failed to clear and striker Bruce Chisholm shot home from six yards.

The Tweedsiders had a chance three minutes later when Calum McClure sped down the right and passed to Graeme Gillie, however, the midfielder’s shot was well held by Lumsden.

A good through-ball by Jordan Lauder found Liam Wallace running past the defence. But after rounding the keeper, his right-footed shot hit the outside of the post. This was followed by Wallace supplying Gillie with a shooting opportunity, but his effort went well over the bar.

The visitors increased their advantage in the 26th minute. Waddell sprinted onto a ball from Andrew Renton and, after collecting it in the penalty box, had his legs whipped away by United defender Steven Tait.

The penalty kick was duly dispatched by James Brydon.

Lumsden made the save of the game 10 minutes from the break when he turned away a Steven Tait header from a Gillie corner.

United were awarded a penalty a minute later when Liam Wallace was bundled over in the box by full back Mark Weatherburn. Jordan Lauder stepped up and lashed the spot kick past Lumsden.

Lumsden was again called into action shortly before the break, pushing away an effort from Damien McNulty.

Two minutes after the restart and Duns could have made it three when Waddell supplied Bruce Chisholm in front of goal. But the striker’s effort was foiled by the legs of keeper Dowie.

The visitors did make it three in the 70th minute when a corner from the right was cleared by the United defence, but only to Duns midfielder Andrew Douglas, whose powerful right-foot shot went flying into the net from 25 yards.

The home side had a couple of golden opportunities in the next 10 minutes.

Liam Wallace drove down the left and passed into the box for Damien McNulty. His shot from eight yards was deflected wide by a defender. Then came another run down the left by Wallace. This time he found substitute Stuart Harker inside the six-yard box but the big defender managed to hit the post with the goal gaping.

Kelso: S. Dowie, S. Tait (S. Harker 72), S. Angus, D. Bowie, G. McNulty, D. McNulty, M. Laidler (G. Mabon), C.McClure, J. Lauder, L. Wallace, G. Gillie (C. Black 54).