United can’t convert chances into goals

Tweedmouth Rangers crossed the Border in search of their second league win of the season, while taking the scalp of Hawick Royal Albert United for the second time.

Monday, 30th December 2019, 6:25 pm
Nathan Gillie, in orange, tries to break through for Hawick Royal Albert United (picture by Bill McBurnie).

The English raiders achieved their aim – but it could well have been a different story, as HRAU had the bulk of the play, writes John Slorance.

The Albert Park side failed to turn pressure into goals, though, and suffered for it.

Although not troubling home ‘keeper Aidan Reilly, Tweedmouth set the early pace with some fast-flowing attacks.

Albert United almost broke the deadlock when Kevin Strathdee swung a free kick into the goalmouth and, in trying to clear the danger, Kieran Cromarty hit his own bar with a miscued header.

Following a Reilly save from Sean Campbell, the woodwork came to Rangers’ rescue a second time, as Dean Fry’s header from a Kevin Strathdee free kick cannoned off the upright.

In the 37th minute, Tweedmouth edged ahead through a Campbell penalty, after Miguel Friere was brought down in the box by David Strathdee.

The hosts came rallying back and twice came near to scoring before the interval.

Nathan Gillie firstly fired inches wide, while a well-struck Kevin Strathdee free kick was pushed away by Tweedmouth stopper Adam Mutch.

After Regan Graham had squandered an early chance to increase Tweedmouth’s lead, HRAU started to gain the upper hand.

But, despite having plenty of possession and continually pushing forward, goals were not arriving, through poor finishing.

With 72 minutes gone, Tweedmouth gave HRAU a lesson in the art of taking chances. In a breakaway attack, Michael Robinson whipped over a low cross which was tucked away by Graham at the back post, while further Rangers chances were matched by excellent Reilly saves.

Four minutes from time, HRAU finally got the goal they’d been chasingwhen Daniel Chandler netted from a Kevin Strathdee corner.

The remainder of the match saw Tweedmouth under siege but the visitors held out – Mutch having a say in this with a top-notch save from Kevin Strathdee.