Tweedsiders’ unbeaten record hit for six

KELSO ,  UNITED KINGDOM - 01 Oct 2011: 'East of Scotland League, First Division'Kelso United 2 - 6 Heriot-Watt University'''(Photo by  Rob Gray / Freelance )
KELSO , UNITED KINGDOM - 01 Oct 2011: 'East of Scotland League, First Division'Kelso United 2 - 6 Heriot-Watt University'''(Photo by Rob Gray / Freelance )
Share this article

Kelso United 2

Heriot-Watt University 6


GEORGE RILEY reports from Woodside Park

UNITED’S unbeaten league record came to shuddering halt on Saturday against a lively University side coached by the ex Hibs duo of Michael Renwick and Micky Weir.

It was always going to be a struggle for the home team who were missing three regulars – Des Burnett, Damien McNulty and Chris Tait – and so it proved to be.

Things started to go wrong for United as early as the second minute. Some neat interplay by midfielders Brendan Napier and Sean Muhsin released winger Chris Donnelly through on goal and the number seven made no mistake when side-footing the ball past keeper David Simmonds.

Kelso almost equalised in the 12th minute when Stuart Harker swung a ball into the penalty box. Craig Ferguson rose above the defence to put a powerful header against the crossbar, and the ball came back to Garry Mabon, whose right-foot shot was well saved by University keeper Craig Saunders.

The Students went two-up in the 25th minute when the Kelso defence failed to clear their line and the visitors’ central defender Matt Travis managed to get between Steven Tait and keeper Simmonds to lob the ball into the net. Three minutes before the break, Uni went further ahead when Donnelly crossed into the box and striker Michael Connor was first to react to bundle the ball over the line.

Midway through the second half, the visitors went four up. A free kick for Kelso just outside the box was blocked and the ball was sent quickly to Donnelly, who out-stripped the defence and squared for Napier, who had the simple task of slipping the ball past the outrushing Simmonds.

United got one back with seven minutes remaining when a long ball from the back was headed on by Jordan Lauder, who found debutant Calum Webb and the former Berwick Rangers player slammed a thunderous shot into the top right corner of the net.

The University increased their lead again when they were awarded a free kick in the 87th minute and substitute Jamie Brown stepped up to beat the diving United keeper.

United scored in the last minute when a Jamie Milner corner was swung into the box and Mark Lockhart was on hand to guide the ball into the net.

Into injury time, Watt got their sixth goal when Harker was deemed by referee David Doig to have tripped Donnelly in the box. The spot-kick was duly dispatched by Muhsin.

Kelso United: D. Simmonds, J. McCutcheon (C. Webb), S. Angus (J. Hogarth), S. Tait, S. Harker, M. Lockhart, C. Black, C. Ferguson (J. Milner), G. Mabon, J. Swailes, J. Lauder.