Tweedsiders fall short after losing early lead

Eyemouth United 3

Kelso United 2


GEORGE RILEY reports from Warner Park

ALTHOUGH the season is drawing to a close, this was a hard-fought encounter with both teams creating plenty of chances in front of goal.

Indeed, the first half produced five counters. With defences tightened, however, the second half was goalless, but still kept the sizeable crowd entertained.

The visitors struck first in the sixth minute when Chris Black swung a high ball in from the left touchline which trialist Eyemouth keeper Adam Stobart punched weakly to the penalty spot where Kelso’s top scorer Des Burnett shot home.

The lead lasted fully two minutes before striker Steven Shennan drifted behind the back line to produce a good lob over keeper David Simmonds.

The visitors went ahead again in the 28th minute and again it was Black on the left who crossed into the box and a great glancing header by Burnett gave the home keeper no chance from six yards.

Shortly after, two goals in two minutes put the home side in the driving seat.

The first came from a Ross Aitchison shot which Simmonds managed to get a right hand to and deflect onto the post. Josh Hebdon was first to react and scored easily from six yards.

This was followed by a corner which was headed out by the Kelso defence only to see a hard shot from Shennan coming straight back, and Johnny Simpson stuck out a leg to put the ball beyond Simmonds.

The visitors came back strongly and before half-time, they had a couple of chances to even things up.

Good work down the right by Chris Tait, Aaron Swailes and Liam Wallace saw the latter cross for Burnett in the box, but this time the striker miskicked and the opportunity was gone. A minute later, Jordan Lauder swung in a cross, only for the unmarked Damien McNulty to put his header wide.

Ten minutes after the restart, the Fishermen were awarded a penalty when Steven Tait and Black brought down Shennan in the box. James Wilson stepped up to take the penalty, but his weak effort trundled past the right-hand post.

Midway through the half, Kelso had strong claims for a penalty when Ross Aichison handled the ball when trying to clear from a corner. However, this injustice was evened out 10 minutes later when referee Alan Hogg failed to see that a Shennan header was a yard over the line from a Simpson cross before Black cleared.

Kelso United: D. Simmonds, C. Tait, C. Black(L. Hill), D. Richardson, S. Tait (S. Harker), D. McNulty, A. Swailes, J. Swailes, D. Burnett, L. Wallace (G. Mabon), J. Lauder.