Three red cards as Greenlaw hit Waverley for six

editorial image

Hawick Waverley 0

Greenlaw 6

It was threes all the way in this somewhat extraordinary encounter – three red cards, three penalties and a plain and simple hat-trick, writes John Slorance.

Facing a strong wind, Greenlaw were first to look like scoring when William Smillie fired a shot over the bar in the second minute.

Waverley began to gain the upper hand, and Greenlaw keeper David Simmonds pulled off fine saves from Taylor Hope and Declan Hogg in a matter of minutes. However, it was Greenlaw who opened the scoring in the 21st minute through a Mark Long goal.

The visitors stretched their lead in the 38th minute. Following a move down the right, they were awarded a penalty by referee Gary Callaghen when Scott Craig was judged to have fouled Smillie.

Craig did not take kindly to this, protested, and ended up red-carded.

Simmonds left his goal area to take the penalty and hit the net with a perfectly-placed shot.

With seconds of the first half remaining, Greenlaw struck again. Chris Black was brought down in the box by an Alan Campbell challenge.

A penalty was awarded and Waverley were reduced to nine men as Campbell was given his marching orders.

Black took the spot kick this time, and made no mistake.

Despite being two men down, Waverley made the running after the interval.

The Berwickshire men sat back and soaked up everything that came their way in a solid, resolute manner.

During a sweeping breakaway raid, however, Greenlaw soared further ahead.

After bursting through the middle, Smillie attempted to round Waverley keeper Ali Willison, only to have his legs whipped from underneath him by the Hawick number one. Referee Callaghen awarded the third penalty of the day, as well as brandishing his third red card, and it was the end of the game for Willison. Black netted from the spot.

Waverley’s day of woe was not quite finished though.

James Wright made it a nap hand for Greenlaw, steering a well-flighted David Knox cross into the net with his head, and in the closing stages, Black completed his hat-trick.