Teries fail to repeat feat




JOHN SLORANCE reports from Recreation Park

HAWICK ROYAL ALBERT notched up their only win last season at Ormiston’s Recreation Park.

On Saturday, the Teries returned – but this time around there was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. For a while it appeared as though Royalists could come across some glitter. But that was just for a while, as the longer the game went on the Albert shone less and less.

Ormiston were first to look like scoring when Scott McCarry rattled in a shot from a Graham Nisbet pass that Albert keeper Willie Turner did well to fingertip round the post at full stretch.

Hawick then showed what they had to offer. After latching on to a cross from Andrew Maltman, Mark Deans fired just wide. Minutes later Kevin McCaughey came near to putting Royalists in front with an effort following a good build-up that Stewart Fisher was fortunate to block. Craig Wilson was just off target with a header from a Maltman corner kick.

With 24 minutes gone, Ormiston broke the deadlock. Making full use of the space he was given down the left flank, Kevin Barr floated over a cross which Gavin Liddell headed home at the back post.

After Craig Downie had squandered a chance to put the homesters further ahead, and Bryan Tait had come near to putting Hawick level by blazing a Deans cross over the bar, Ormiston added to their tally in the 40th minute. Graham Nisbet drove in a free kick that should have been kept out by Turner, but the ball sailed past a stationary Albert number one and into the net.

Early in the second half Ormiston keeper James McQueen pulled off a superb save, pushing a net-bound Sean Owens header over the bar following a Maltman corner.

In the 57th minute, Ormiston struck again. Maltman was dispossessed by Brian McEwan who surged forward and whipped over a cross that was tucked away by Downie.

Apart from Malcolm Cooper almost reducing the leeway with a header, the Albert were never in the hunt from here on.

Ormiston dominated and in the latter stages had a great chance to go even further ahead. Cooper upended Mark Leslie in the box and referee Fiona Martin awarded a penalty. Craig Fisher took the resultant spot kick, but his shot was brilliantly saved by the diving Turner.

Hawick coach Davie Aitkin told TheSouthern: “I am absolutely gutted, as I thought we had a real good chance of getting a result today.

“We beat ourselves more that anything else though, as we played well to begin with, but in the second half we lost our way and nobody seemed to know what they were doing and it was disappointing stuff.”

Hawick Royal Albert: W. Turner, A. Maltman, Trialist, C. Wilson, M. Cooper, B. Tait, J. Easdon (G. Brady), K. McGaughey, M. Deans, S. Owens, S. Sharkey.