Ten-minute magic spell kills off Kelso

editorial image

Coldstream 5

Kelso United 2


GEORGE RILEY reports from Home Park

FOUR goals within a 10-minute period in the first half sunk United in front of a large crowd at Home Park.

Two goals from star man Jonny Simpson and two from last season’s top striker John Crawford more or less killed off the local derby as a contest with only 20 minutes gone.

The game started brightly with both teams on the offensive and indeed Kelso had the first chance on goal when Calum McClure drifted in behind the home defence from a Liam Wallace free kick, but the teenager’s shot went over the bar.

Jonny Simpson showed his intent minutes later when, after a good run down the right, his powerful shot hit the outside of the post.

The home team went ahead in the 10th minute when a corner on the right by Martyn Tait went to the back post and defender Kieren Ainslie rose above the United defence to head beyond Bruce Connelly in the Kelso goal.

It only took five minutes until Coldstream went further ahead, another powerful run by ex-Eyemouth man Simpson caught the visitors on the back foot. His right-footed shot-cum-cross sailed over Connelly, hit the back post and went into the net.

Simpson turned supplier for the third when his cross from the right was not cleared by the United defence and John Crawford was on hand to stroke the ball home.

With 20 minutes gone, a simple ball through the middle saw Simpson skip past United defender Gary McNulty and slot the ball past the diving Connelly. A shell-shocked Kelso tried to make up some of the leeway when McClure headed over from a Graeme Gillie cross, followed by a glancing header which went wide from Des Burnett.

Coldstream made it five in the 41st minute when again Simpson caused havoc through the middle, passing to Crawford in the penalty area and the big striker made no mistake.

United almost got a goal back in the last minute before the break when a combination of Mark Walters in the Coldstream goal and Kieren Ainslie had to scramble the ball off the goalline from a McClure header.

United top scorer Burnett had a good chance in the 56th minute when he collected a through ball with only the keeper to beat, but blasted his shot over the bar.

However Burnett, did get on the scoresheet midway through the half when Liam Wallace robbed Coldstream defender Michael Allan 30 yards from goal. The blond midfielder then found the United no 9 in the box to strike home.

United brought the score back to 5-2 after 75 minutes when a good shot by Burnett was parried by Walters and McClure pounced to hit the ball home from six yards.

Kelso United: B. Connelly, C. Black, D. Richardson, G. McNulty(J. Lauder), M. Laidler, G. Gillie (D. McNulty), S. Tait, C. McClure (C. Webb), D. Burnett, L. Wallace, A. Swailes.