Templeton out as Souters slip up again

Civil Service Strollers 2

Selkirk 1


KENNY PATERSON reports from Muirhouse

IF this was the result which cost Bryan Templeton his job as Selkirk manager, then it could not have been a much more depressing way to go.

Pointless and bottom of the Premier Division, Templeton needed a result against a tidy but pretty ordinary Civil Service Strollers side.

Instead, his squad of just 12 players struggled to their sixth straight league defeat and saw top scorer Jamie Gibson red-carded in the closing stages for an alleged elbow on Strollers substitute Murray Fraser.

Speaking after the game, just over 48 hours before he was removed from his post after nine months in the job, Templeton blamed poor defending for Selkirk’s latest loss.

He said: “We have lost two soft goals which we have been doing too often this season.

“The season is not over, but we did need to take something from this game.”

Templeton’s luck deserted him in his final game as Ryan Clapperton, Liam Hardie and Jonny Watt were missing, while Spanish striker Romero Aguilera was left stranded at Palma Airport after the airline he was due to fly with refused to accept his boarding pass.

Ironically, this match was played at a venue which experiences planes regularly flying overhead into Edinburgh Airport, but Selkirk’s confidence was far from sky-high when they lost the opening goal in five minutes.

Chris Inglis dribbled down the left wing too easily for Templeton’s liking and his low cross was finished by ex-Whitehill Welfare striker Scott Gormley.

Selkirk deserve credit for grabbing an equaliser four minutes later – Ryan McManus’ cross tapped home by Jason Inglis – and created the better of the chances in the first half.

Gibson almost put his team in front a minute later, but his brilliant swivel and volley from 25 yards out was matched by Strollers’ keeper Paul Cadger.

The Selkirk frontman then hit the top of the Stroller’s crossbar with a looping header on 16 minutes, before Cadger grabbed David Battle’s shot at the second attempt with Gibson ready to tap the ball into the net.

However, four minutes before half-time, Selkirk allowed the unmarked and diminutive Craig Dickson to head Bobby Gay’s free kick past John Dodds.

But Civil were lucky to keep 11 men on the park by the interval, after Gormley appeared to punch Ryan McManus on the ground following a sliding tackle from the Selkirk midfielder which earned him a yellow card.

The visitors struggled in the second period to trouble Cadger, although the McManus brothers did their best to worry the former Ormiston stopper.

Ryan’s curling shot was saved by the keeper on 63 minutes and Ross’ free kick struck Cadger’s crossbar.

But hopes of gathering their first point of the season ended with Gibson’s red card five minutes from full time.

Selkirk: J. Dodds, L. Stephen, B. Milven, J. Inglis, E. Pritchard, J. Higginbottom, D. Battle (W. Mercer 64), Ryan McManus, J. Gibson, D. Burdett, Ross McManus.