Table-toppers continue good start

Gala Rovers 2

Newtown 1


A first-half penalty from captain Shane Greene maintained Gala Rovers’ 100 per cent start to the league season.

In front of a healthy crowd, Newtown were ahead in the eighth minute, but Des Sutherland quickly replied eight minutes later with an impressive finish.

Shaun Hardie was then fouled in the Newtown penalty area in the 34th minute, allowing Greene to give Rovers the lead.

Pencaitland 4

Hawick Legion 1


Although ending up on the wrong end of the result, a makeshift Hawick Legion outfit emerged with a lot of credit.

In the first period, Legion more than matched Pencaitland and were unfortunate not to open the scoring in the early stages when a Dale Drummond shot cannoned off the post.

Pencaitland edged ahead just before the interval, cashing in on some slack Legion defensive play.

After the break the woodwork robbed the Teries of an equaliser as Gary Moffat beat the home keeper with a header, but the ball hit the upright.

Pencaitland then scored twice but Legion continued to battle and John Shankie pulled a goal back on meeting a Ross Cairns cross.

The homesters, however, had the last say, netting a penalty.

West Barns Star 1

Hawick Waverley 2


Waverley got off to a dream start by breaking the deadlock in the second minute.

A good passing move involving Barry Shiel and Taylor Hope tore a gap in the West Barns defence and resulted in Dean McColm shooting home.

With 27 minutes gone, Scott Craig stretched Waverley’s lead when sinking a Shiel cross into the net.

Star then had a golden opportunity to reduce the leeway on being awarded a penalty, but there was to be no goal for the homesters as Waverley keeper Euan Reilly brilliantly saved Smith’s spot kick.

Waverley, in turn, were unfortunate not to score when Ross Wallace saw his effort cleared off the goal-line.

In the 71st minute, Brian Lugget produced the scoring touch for Star by slotting away an Andrew Thorburn cross, but Waverley held on.

Hawick United 2

Linton Hotspur 2


In what turned out to be a fast-flowing encounter in which both sides had their moments, United sailed into the lead with just two minutes gone when Kevin Strathdee found the net with a well-struck 30yd free kick, writes John Slorance.

Hawick’s joy was shortlived, though, as six minutes later Hotspur drew level.

Ross Nisbet threaded a pass to the feet of Andy Daykin, who rifled a low shot past diving home keeper Kevin Miller.

The lively pace continued and with 19 minutes gone, Hawick regained their lead. After latching on to a clearance from Linton keeper Leigh Gordon, United defender Dean Fry surged forward and evaded two challenges before scoring with a powerful drive.

In the second period Linton number one Gordon proved his worth with an excellent double save from Kevin Paterson during a hectic goalmouth scramble.

With both teams pushing forward there was plenty of action, and in the 68th minute Daykin put Hotspur on level pegging, polishing off a good build-up move.

Gala Athletic 2

Kelso Thistle 8


A SERIOUS knee injury for Craig Blair overshadowed Kelso Thistle’s fine win at Tweedbank.

Doubles from Bonnington and Currie and a solidary strike from Beveridge put Thistle well in command at half-time.

But the Tweedsiders were rocked when centre half Blair was carried off.

Athletic pulled back two goals, but Kelso notched three more through Beveridge, Wright and Turnbull.

Gala Hotspur 6

Tweedmouth Amateur Colts 3


ANOTHER five goals for super Spurs striker Scott Nightingale handed the Gala team victory against a much-improved Tweedmouth Amateur Colts side.

The hosts were 2-0 up in the first half as Nightingale and Lee Brown scored before the visitors drew level with two goals before half-time.

Nightingale scored a penalty to make it 3-2 and he added a fourth for his hat-trick with a clinical finish.

Callum Gass’s great pass set up Nightingale for his fourth and Spurs’ fifth and another penalty saw Tweedmouth reduced to 10 men as Nightingale made it 6-2 – his 10th goal in two league games.

Tweedmouth claimed a late consolation to give the scoreline a more respectable look.

Peebles Amateurs 3

Hawick Legion Rovers 2


Fielding an extremely young side, Hawick Legion Rovers got off to a stuttering start, conceding an early goal. Peebles followed this up with another counter and duly went on to notch a third.

It was not looking good for Rovers at this stage, but Chay Caldwell pulled a goal back for Rovers.

Lifted by this, Rovers improved in the second half and reduced the leeway through a Gavin Brady penalty.