Streamers sail into next round of the King Cup

Hawick Royal albert1


Aided by a four-goal second-half blast at Albert Park, Coldstream marched into the second round of the King Cup on Saturday.

After Hawick keeper Scott Connington had pulled off a fine save from Regan Graham, the Streamers took the lead in the 11th minute.

John Crawford met a Graham cross with his head and the ball ended up nestling in the back of the net, despite the diving Connington getting a hand to it.

Looking the more adventurous side by far, Coldstream kept their foot on the gas and Kieran Ainslie and Crawford were both kept at bay by stops from Connington in a matter of minutes.

Hawick came close to netting an equaliser when Ronald Fleming drove a free kick over the bar and Paul Brown sent in a header that cannoned off the post, but the score remained 1-0 to the visitors at the halfway stage.

Following the bookings of Coldstream’s Kristian Neill and Hawick’s Nicky Cairns in the opening stages of the second period, the visitors edged further ahead in the 53rd minute.

However, it was a goal that brought about much bemusement. After Connington had pushed away a Crawford shot, Luke Strangeways tucked away the rebound. Referee Ryan Lee appeared to indicate, however, that the Coldstream man was offside, a ruling that was accepted. But the Musselburgh whistler then decided to award the goal. It was all a bit baffling.

After Streamers’ keeper Mark Walters had pushed a Greg Summers’ free kick over the bar, the Berwickshire men replied by netting a third when Crawford fired a shot past Connington.

Just after this, Hawick fell into further arrears when Jonathan Simpson put away a Jake Rutherford cutback.

The Albert replied with a sweeping raid that ended in Andy Noble driving a shot against the bar, but it was Coldstream who were in charge and Frenchman Arnaud Gauthier got his name on the scoresheet, finding the net with a header.

Seconds from time, Cairns reduced the leeway in blasting a Gary Shillinglaw cross past a helpless Walters.

Coldstream manager Stevie Gibbard said of his side’s triumph: “It ended up being a good win for us.

“We are starting to pick up now and this is a bit of a relief.”

Hawick captain Ronald Fleming said: “Coldstream’s second goal took a lot out of us as it should not have stood.

“We played well at times and battled to the end.”