Spot-on Selkirk come back from festive freeze to leave students in the cold

editorial image

Selkirk 0

Heriot-Watt University 0 (aet)

Selkirk won 4-3 on penalties


KENNY PATERSON reports from Yarrow Park

YOU wait 56 days for a game of football, and then don’t see a goal for another 120 minutes.

It was not until a penalty shoot-out that the ball hit the net, with Selkirk’s Jay Wilson scoring the decisive spot-kick.

Driving rain and a soaking pitch contributed to a lack of any score in normal and extra time during this King Cup tie, but both teams still served up a decent game which slightly warmed up the freezing spectators at Yarrow Park.

Heriot-Watt started off quicker than the soaring price of petrol, as Selkirk looked like a side who had not played a match since November 20.

Ronnie Napier and Matt Travis – the former Coldstream midfielder – both had efforts within the first 10 minutes, but Selkirk came closest to opening the scoring when Wilson’s low cross just evaded Des Sutherland and new signing Jamie Gibson.

Shaun Hardie was denied on 33 minutes by a fine save from Craig Saunders, who impressed throughout the game, never more so than five minutes later when he brilliantly stopped Gibson from claiming a debut goal with a fingertip save.

Referee Paul Hanlon considered abandoning the cup tie at half-time due to the soaking pitch, but rightly carried on.

Paul Hossack must have wished the referee had called time on the match when he fired well over the bar from just eight yards out after good build-up by Ross McManus and Hardie on 52 minutes.

At the other end, Gavin Main set up Travis, but his first shot was well saved by Dodds, with the rebound being cleared off the line by Lee Stephen.

Hardie then did his best impression of Jorge Albertz with a thunderbolt shot from 25 yards which Saunders tipped over his bar on 64 minutes.

Dodds made another decent stop from Simon Ferrie, and despite both teams going for a winner, extra time inevitably arrived.

More chances came at either end, with Dodds and Saunders again pulling off great saves.

Dodds was finally beaten on 104 minutes, but Inglis cleared Ricky Burke’s shot, and Main’s follow-up also failed to find the net as Euan Pritchard made a fantastic clearance to keep the Souters in the running.

Penalties were taken in almost full darkness, and after Travis and Ally Duff missed for Heriot-Watt, it was left to Wilson to see Selkirk into round two.

Selkirk boss Paul Brownlee said: “I thought we deserved to win over the 90 minutes.

“It was our first game for eight weeks, but we created loads of really good chances.

“It was a good workout for the squad, especially with the extra 30 minutes.

“Considering the conditions it was a good game and I am pleased with the boys’ effort.”

Selkirk: J. Dodds, L. Stephen, Ross McManus, J.Inglis, E. Pritchard, G. Gass, J. Wilson, P. Hossack (S. Mackenzie 83), J. Gibson, D. Sutherland, S. Hardie (Ryan McManus 83).