Selkirk victorious in Collie Cup clash

Collie Cup Final. Selkirk Vics v St. Boswells. Selkirk Vics won 6-0
Collie Cup Final. Selkirk Vics v St. Boswells. Selkirk Vics won 6-0

Selkirk Victoria 6

St Boswells 0

Collie Cup Final. Selkirk Vics v St. Boswells. Selkirk Vics won 6-0

Collie Cup Final. Selkirk Vics v St. Boswells. Selkirk Vics won 6-0


FIONA SCOTT reports from Runciman Park

AFTER a gap of 11 years Selkirk Victoria bagged the Collie Cup on Saturday with an emphatic win at sun-soaked Earlston.

And claimed their first piece of silverware of the season – which they hope can bring them a quadruple, with the Sanderson, Waddell and League cups all up for grabs.

However, the victory was bittersweet for the Souters as their top goalscorer Darren Munro suffered a double leg break following a reckless challenge 13 minutes into the second half.

Boswells started brightly with the first real chance to score falling to Ian Skelly following a David Richardson free kick from the edge of the box.

Vics keeper Jamie Lyall was alert as ever, though, and managed to tip the ball over the bar with his fingertips.

It was the unfortunate Munro who scored the opening goal of the game after 15 minutes. Ryan Clapperton’s tackle on the edge of the Saints’ box resulted in the ball spilling to Ryan Pritchard who crossed for Munro to slam home from 12 yards out.

Pritchard made it 2-0 shortly after when he headed John Bodicoat’s long throw into the top corner and on the half-hour mark, Clapperton slid the ball under the keeper to make it 3-0 at half-time.

The start of the second half was scrappy and on the hour, Munro’s injury resulted in a lengthy break to allow paramedics to arrive and take him off the pitch.

St Boswells were reduced to 10 men as a result of the incident, which saw Colin Austin instantly dismissed for dangerous play, and almost immediately from the restart Selkirk went four up.

Ranald Wilkie played a perfect ball over the top for striker William Mercer, who made no mistake when one-on-one with St Boswells keeper Stuart MacKenzie.

Mercer got his second with 15 minutes remaining. Wilkie’s surging run and shot was saved, but the rebound fell to Mercer, who made no mistake from close range.

The rout was completed with 10 minutes to go. This time Bodicoat was on hand to score following a scramble in the area for his first Vics goal.

Speaking after the game a rather subdued Derek Whitehead told TheSouthern: “We started off not too great, but then we got the first goal in and we were well on top after that.

“The 3-0 scoreline at half-time kind of flattered them a bit and I think we should’ve had more goals.

“Fair credit to Boswells though, they tried to battle back.

“It was very unfortunate that Darren broke his leg and it did put a bit of a dampener on the game. Hopefully, he will make a quick recovery, but it didn’t look good.”

The Vics now have four league games left and, having already secured promotion, need two wins to pick up the title.

Whitehead added: “We have another two cup games left as well so hopefully there will be more celebrations in the coming weeks. We have a great squad and I would fancy us against most teams.”

Selkirk Victoria: J. Lyall, R. Wilkie, R. Pritchard, S. MacFarlane, R. Price, J. Bodicoat, G. Ford, G. McShane, R. Clapperton, D. Munro, W. Mercer. Subs: N. Douglas, D. Deans, F. McDougall, M. Lowery and G. Brownlee.

St Boswells: S. MacKenzie, T. Moriarty, C. Turnbull, H. Howland, M. Muir, G. Dalgleish, C. Austin, D. Hague, I. Skelly, R. Crew, D. Richardson. Subs: D. Halpin, S. Deacon, A. Swinton, K. Hume and A. Shafik.