Selkirk struggle to field team

Edinburgh University 2

Selkirk 0


KENNY PATERSON reports from Peffermill

“Confidence is shattered,” admitted Selkirk manager Bryan Templeton as he watched his side slump to their eighth consecutive Premier Division defeat.

Forced to play assistant boss Davie Main in defence after a series of injuries and players on holiday, Templeton’s depleted team seemed to expect to lose a game despite it being relatively meaningless for their opponents.

Templeton added: “We only had 10 players this morning and the seven players that were missing would all be likely to start.

“This was a patched-up team, although we weren’t a million miles away from Edinburgh Uni, who were also missing some players.”

Glorious weather was not reflected in the standard of the football, as both teams started off slower than a camomile tea-drinking koala.

It was the visitors who threatened first as Jamie Gibson’s 20-yard shot was tipped over by veteran goalkeeper Mark Cairns, the ex-Gala Fairydean and Partick Thistle stopper.

The students responded and forced Euan Pritchard into a goal-line clearance after John Dodds missed a Mark Gair cross.

And the home side were ahead on 25 minutes when skilful winger Colin Cameron – not the former Hearts player but roughly the same height – was clipped in the penalty box by Ryan McManus, allowing Danny Main to score from the spot.

Selkirk had their best spell before half-time as Andy Hardie began to show what he is capable of, setting up Jay Wilson to fire a shot at Cairns and then producing a cheeky nutmeg, only for Ryan McManus to fire over from 14 yards.

The Souters were again to go close on 56 minutes as Wilson’s corner was met by the head of Shaun Hardie, but Pritchard’s stretch was not enough to connect with the ball from six yards out.

Instead the university went further ahead on 62 minutes as Cameron did superbly to reach on to an overhit pass and cross the ball for Mike Gray to sidefoot home.

Selkirk failed to produce a response in the final 28 minutes as their losing streak reached eight-in-a-row – a run that needs to be ended rapidly if the Souters are to remain in the Premier Division.

Selkirk: J. Dodds, J. Inglis, J. Wilson, Ryan McManus, J. Gibson, Ross McManus, S. Hardie (M. Gibson 82), G. Gass, A. Hardie, D. Main (D. Hancock 69), E. Pritchard.