Rovers put on a great late show to stun Tweedsiders

Peebles Rovers 3

Kelso United 1


MAURICE GORDON reports from Whitestone Park

AFTER an even and competitive first half, Peebles held the upper hand after the break before sealing their win with a couple of late goals.

Kelso were first to pose a threat when from a long throw-in from Chris Black, Jonathon Waugh sent in a cracking shot from 20 yards which brought out a splendid diving save from Bruce Callan.

Peebles replied with a neat build-up before Jamie Innes sent the ball narrowly past the Kelso post.

Midway through the half the Tweedsiders missed a good chance to take the lead when a defence-splitting pass from Waugh sent Aaron Swailes racing into the Peebles box, only to chip the ball straight into the arms of the advancing Callan.

However, the visitors did manage to break the deadlock in the 31st minute. After the Peebles defence had failed to clear a throw-in from Black, Jonathon Waugh promptly blasted the loose ball past a helpless Callan.

Peebles equalised just 60 seconds later. Keith Harper gave David Simmons no chance with a spectacular diving header from a Kevin Martin free-kick.

Then the Kelso keeper brought off the save of the match five minutes before half-time. Craig Edgar seemed almost certain to score with an angular header, only for Simmons to pull off a brilliant one-handed save.

Peebles had come much more into the game now as from an Allan Chalmers pass, Fraser Henderson fired the ball narrowly over the United crossbar and just before the interval Harper duplicated the trick.

Peebles made a bright start to the second half as Simmons foiled Henderson with a fine save before Martin was off target with a snap-shot from 20 yards.

At the other end, Stuart Harker was wide of the mark with a header from eight yards.

Play continued to rage from end to end, but it was Peebles who finally took a deserved lead when Edgar sent over a cross which picked out the in-rushing Fraser Henderson, who slammed the ball home from close range.

One minute before full-time Kelso’s Jonathon Waugh was sent off for using abusive language towards the referee and Peebles sealed their win with an injury-time goal when Edgar beat Simmons all ends up with a terrific shot from 20 yards.

Peebles Rovers: B. Callan, E. Black, K. Martin, P. Hunter, K. Harper, M. Holness (J. Leitch), J. Innes, N. Cairns, C. Edgar, F. Henderson, A. Chalmers.

Kelso United: D. Simmons, D. McNulty, J. McCutcheon, S. Tait, S. Harker, J. Coles, J. Waugh, C. Black, D. Burnett, M. Lockhart, A. Swailes (J. Milner).