Rovers in clover as Kelso throw away half-time lead

Frankie Arthur fires in one of the second half goals
Frankie Arthur fires in one of the second half goals

Peebles Rovers7

Kelso United1

Peebles ended in seventh heaven as they put Kelso to the sword, scoring seven second-half goals at Whitestone Park in this pulsating encounter.

United went into the break a goal up thanks to a Damien McNulty wonder strike from 30 yards, but things changed dramatically in the second period when the home team ran riot with goals from Dale Richardson, Jonathan Flockhart, Scott Sutherland, a double from Frankie Arthur and own goals from Jack Logan and Darren Bowie.

After a cagey start from both teams, United should have taken the lead in the 10th minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty – Shane Bonnington tripped in the box after a mazy run. Darren Bowie stepped up to take the spot kick, but his weak side-footed effort was saved by Rovers keeper Chris Malcolm diving to his right.

Peebles’ first direct shot at goal came in the 20th minute when Elliott Turnbull in the United goal had to get down quickly to turn a Frankie Arthur shot wide. This was followed by a Donavan Ndiweni effort, which Turnbull diverted wide with his feet.

The United goal came with 10 minutes of the first half remaining. Damien McNulty picked the ball up at the halfway line and drove forward. Thirty yards from goal, he unleashed a right-foot shot with swing and dip, which deceived the home keeper and thumped into the net.

Goal scorer McNulty only lasted three minutes of the second half, having to come off with an injury, and was replaced by Jack Logan.

The home team equalised six minutes into the half when Jordan Finnie swung in a corner from the right and defender Dale Richardson out-jumped the visitors’ defence to head home.

Rovers took the lead five minutes later when Arthur drove forward from midfield and shot from the edge of the box, the ball taking a slight deflection on the way past Turnbull.

The home team went further in front as a bad ball out of defence by United defender Dean Boyne was pounced upon by Jonathan Flockhart and the home defender picked his spot to curl a left-foot shot into the top right corner of the net.

It was one-way traffic now for Rovers as they scored three more goals in a six-minute spell, the first in the 72nd minute, as United defender Jack Logan slid the ball into his own net as he tried to clear a cross from the left by Arthur.

The next was just about a carbon copy of the previous goal as a driven cross from the left was this time turned into the net by Darren Bowie.

This was quickly followed by a break from Arthur down the middle and, as he was faced by the out-rushing United keeper, he calmly lobbed the ball over Turnbull and into the open goal.

The scoring was complete in the penultimate minute as the United defence failed to clear their lines.

Striker Scott Sutherland took advantage and hammered a simply superb left-foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.