Rovers fight to the end for final spot

Hawick Legion Rovers3

St Boswells2

Although ruling the roost for the vast majority of this Collie Cup semi-final clash, Legion Rovers ended up having to dig in deep to gain a winning result, writes John Slorance.

A ten man St Boswells side who had mainly been on the receiving end, saw to this with a late fighting show.

With a strong wind gusting behind them Rover almost took the lead in the first minute when Sean Clarke blasted a shot that St Boswells keeper Scott McMullen did well to push round the post at full stretch.

Following a spell of pressure in which Clarke and Chay Caldwell both come near to scoring, Rovers opened their account in the 19th minute when a good build up move ended in Chay Caldwell firing home. Minutes later Euan Gray was just off target for the home side with a well struck drive on being fed by a Jordan Caldwell pass.

A goal was only delayed, for minutes later Rovers edged further ahead. Following a Jordan Caldwell throw in, Chay Caldwell sent in a header that cannoned off St Boswells defender Paul Mouterr to the lurking Craig McCutcheon who rattled a shot past the helpless McMullen.

Within minutes of this Colin Turnbull hit the upright with a header after the St Boswells defence had failed to clear another long throw in from Jordan Caldwell.

In the 42nd minute St Boswells pulled a goal back. Jordan Caldwell handled in the box and Brem Kirk stuck away the resultant penalty with great precision. A minute from the interval Clarke restored Rovers two goal lead when bursting through to rattle a shot out of McMullen’s reach.

The early part of the second half followed the same pattern as the opening forty minutes, with Rovers on top and with 62 minutes gone, St Boswells were reduced to ten men when Thomas Moriaty was red carded for bringing down Clarke.

It looked like being the end of the road for visitors but St Boswell had other ideas and Sam Anderson put the ‘Villagers’ into the scene in polishing off a thrusting run by thundering an unsaveable shot into the back of the net.

Boosted by this St Boswells began to push for an equaliser, which never came, and Rovers held out, securing a place in the final.