Prof sent off in incident packed League Cup clash

Kelso vs Hawick Royal Albert.
Kelso vs Hawick Royal Albert.

Kelso United1

Hawick RA5

There was no shortage of incidents in this East of Scotland League Cup encounter at a sun-kissed Woodside Park, writes John Slorance.

Kelso set the early pace in coming near to scoring in the opening attack of the game, but with nine minutes gone the deadlock was broken at the other end.

After having dented the home rear-guard with a thrusting run, Cameron MacFarlane fired in a shot that was parried by the United number one Willie Stewart. The ball then broke to the feet of giant Albert striker Alieu Faye who slotted home a shot from close range.

Six minutes later Faye put Hawick further ahead with a perfectly taken penalty after MacFarlane had been brought down by Ryan Beveridge.

With a minute of the first half remaining Hawick increased their lead, Faye again emerging the marksman in completing his hat trick when tucking away a MacFarlane cut back.

Two minutes into the second period, United reduced the leeway with a deserved goal. Kyle Blaikie produced the scoring touch when scorching a sweetly struck drive into the roof of the net.

Hawick struck again on the hour mark, MacFarlane emerging the marksman in rattling home a low cross from Stewart Crozier.

Within minutes of this Kelso were sent reeling through two dismissals, both involving the Blaikie family.

Referee Ryan Lee, who had been attracting plenty of attention in brandishing out yellow cards galore, first of all gave Kyle Blaikie his marching orders for a second bookable offence before United manager Prof Blaikie, Kyle’s father, was sent from the technical area for making remarks towards the referee.

Ten man Kelso duly went further behind when a cleverly worked move from a short corner saw Gavin Pettigrew cutting inside from the flank and shooting past Stewart.

In the closing seconds Hawick got a second penalty. Faye again took the award but there was to be no joy for the Albert men this time as his shot was well saved.

Albert manager Mike Atai said of his team’s win: “We knocked the ball about well and it was a pleasing win but I thought we could have bossed the game more.”

Prof Blaikie commented: “At half time we could well have been level instead of being three goals down but that’s the way it goes. We are a young side mainly made up of local players and we will get better.”