Prof aware that there’s a long way to go at Woodside

Kelso United vs Duns FC. Dean Boyne for Kelso in black and white.
Kelso United vs Duns FC. Dean Boyne for Kelso in black and white.

Kelso United2


It was not the result that returning Kelso manager Prof Blaikie was looking for, however, he was not downhearted with the team’s performance, writes George Riley.

“It will take a bit of time before we get a competitive squad put together again, but there are some good players here and I need to add two or three players to get us back to winning ways,” he told TheSouthern.

“The boys played well in snatches against Duns, but defensive mistakes made the score worse than it should have been.”

The Berwickshire outfit showed their intention early on when Mike Robertson crossed from the right and Martyn Tait headed into the arms of Elliott Turnbull in the home goal.

The visitors went in front in the 14th minute with a disputed penalty. United defender Dean Boyne was trying to cut out a cross from the right by Robertson, but unfortunately fell back on the ball on the penalty spot. As the full back got to his feet, the ball brushed his arm and Edinburgh referee Paul Hanlon pointed to the spot to the consternation of the home support. Connor Delvany stepped up and duly dispatched the spot kick.

Midway through the half, Duns made it two when Delvany whipped in a corner from the right and Michael Stewart got in front of the home defence to power a header just inside the near post.

United then had a chance when striker Jordan Hopkinson took off down the right wing and, after leaving two defenders in his wake, dragged his shot just wide of the post.

In the penultimate minute of the first half, the Dingers went three in front. A long ball from the back skimmed off the head of United’s Boyne on the edge of the box and landed at the feet of Delvany, who bundled the ball over the line from three yards out.

After a quiet start to the second period, the home side got a goal back when they were awarded a free kick 20 yards out. Winger Shane Bonnington drove a tremendous shot over the wall and into the top corner, giving Duns keeper Paul Tansy no chance.

United seem to lose their concentration a few minutes after this and were hit with a quick-fire double from Steve Shennan in the 71st and 72nd minutes.

The first came as United defender Jack Logan was robbed by Tait on the halfway line and the midfielder found Shennan on the left-hand side of the box. The experienced striker made no mistake firing home past the diving Turnbull. This was followed by a mix-up in the heart of the Tweedsiders’ defence and Shennan was lurking on the six-yard line to poke home his second goal.

The home team reduced the deficit 10 minutes from time after Hopkinson was brought down in the box by central defender George Windrum following a mazy run from the striker. Chris Black beat the diving Tansy from the penalty spot.