On-form Tweedsiders beat the cold

Ormiston 0

Kelso United 2

The game at Recreation Park was played in a bitter arctic wind, conditions in which only polar bears and penguins would be happy to stand, writes George Riley.

However, United coped well and continued their good run of form to beat the East Lothian side quite convincingly.

A goal from Chris Black just before half-time – a Beckham-esque right-foot bending shot – put the Tweedsiders in front, then midway through the second half Des Burnett knocked in his 15th goal of the season to complete the scoring.

The game had barely gone a minute when United had a shout for a penalty as defender Stewart Fisher brought Burnett down in the box, but referee Gavin Kennedy waved play on.

The home side went close with a free kick from Craig Fisher, which Kelso keeper Scott Dowie did well to clear.

The game had to be stopped in the 15th minute for five minutes when home defender Stewart Fisher received a bad knee injury on the heavy pitch and had to receive treatment before he could be moved.

The first clear sight of goal for the visitors came in the 20th minute when Jordan Lauder broke down the right and passed to Black, who crossed for Burnett. The striker’s header landed at the feet of Garry Mabon, but the midfielder’s shot went well wide.

A great tackle inside the box by Gary McNulty prevented Ormiston taking the lead when he slid to take the ball off the boot of Kyle Auld as the striker was about to shoot.

Ten minutes before the break, United had a great chance when Black put through Burnett one-on-one with Ormiston keeper David Simmonds, but the big No. 9 saw his powerful shot tipped over the bar by the former United player.

United had their tails up and Liam Wallace crossed from the right to the back post where Jordan Lauder was standing unmarked, but his header was well off-target.

Kelso took the lead in injury time when a quick throw down the left by Sean Angus found Chris Black, who beat two players before curling a right-foot shot into the top-right corner of the net, leaving Simmonds static.

The start of the second half saw United pressing with the aid of the strong wind and Burnett went close with a header, following good work by Wallace and Black.

Mabon was unlucky to see a header just go wide and Dowie was called into action when he had to claw a shot from Ormiston substitute Richard Weir over the bar.

Just after the hour, United increased their lead when a Wallace cross found Lauder running through the middle. The big wing man shrugged off two challenges before squaring for Burnett, who had the simple task of tapping the ball into the net.

Kelso United: S. Dowie, J. McCutcheon, S. Angus, D. McNulty, G. McNulty, S. Tait ( C. McClure 70), G. Mabon ( G. Gillie 78), C. Black, D. Burnett, L. Wallace, J. Lauder.