No Royal celebrations

Hawick Royal Albert 0

Easthouses Lily 3


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Albert Park

WITHOUT a home win last season, and only two games left at Albert Park to record a victory this term, Hawick were more than keen to get a winning result.

But it wasn’t to be. Despite holding their own in the first half, the Albert crashed to defeat.

Albert’s longest-serving player Alan Campbell told TheSouthern: “At half-time I thought we had a great chance of getting something out of this game. Although we had rode our luck a couple of times we were playing well and creating chances.

“After losing a goal in the second half, though, we fell to bits and it ended up being a disappointing result for us.”

With both sides taking time to find their feet, the game got off to a quiet start and the early play was ragged and untidy. Hawick were first to look like scoring when Stewart Fraser showed a good touch of pace when bursting through the middle, only to hit a weak shot straight at Lily keeper Brian Young. Easthouses then showed what they had to offer with a thrusting passing move involving Kyle Boggie, Ryan Curran and Stuart Love which ended in Love thundering a shot against the upright.

After Liam Lavery fired wide for the homesters, Albert number one Willie Turner palmed a Curran cross against the bar with Ross Gaylor blazing the rebound over the target.

Early in the second half Young denied Hawick an opener with a superb save when tipping a Lavery header over the bar.

After Gaylor had hit the upright with a header, Lily broke the deadlock in the 56th minute, Curran swinging over a cross from the flank for Gaylor to head home.

Three minutes later the visitors increased their lead. On being fed a Gaylor pass, Boggie hit a shot goalwards. It should have been a simple save for Turner but the harmless looking shot squirmed under the body of the diving keeper and trundled into the net.

After Lavery went close to reducing the leeway, Lily had a golden opportunity to add to their tally when being awarded a penalty. Alan Campbell brought down Gaylor in the box with what appeared to be a legitimate tackle.

Edinburgh referee Michael Scott thought otherwise and pointed to the spot. The capital whistler also red-carded Campbell for denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

However, Turner made amends for his earlier blunder by saving Gaylor’s spot kick.

With 83 minutes gone, Gaylor, however, put the Albert into further arrears by polishing off a move from the back, sparked off by Davie McQueenie.

In the closing stages Young did well to keep his goal intact when saving from the lively Lavery while at the other end Turner robbed Gaylor of his hat-trick with an excellent stop.

Hawick Royal Albert: W. Turner, M. Cooper, A. Campbell, C. Wilson, C. Batten, M. Deans (C. Sharkey), S. Fraser (S Drummond), R. Shepherd, L. Lavery, R. Wallace, L. Cooper (J. Robertson).