New life members reflect on an incredible journey

editorial image

SELKIRK FC’s latest life members have reflected on the brightest and darkest moments in the club’s recent history.

Keith Anderson and Derek Kerr were both honoured last Friday for their services to the Yarrow Park club.

Derek Kerr describes his time with Selkirk as a “rollercoaster”. He was player/manager when the club attempted to move from Ettrick Park to their current home, threatening their SFA membership and existence.

“You were worried how you were going to get a team on the park on a Saturday,” said Kerr, 40. “There would sometimes be six at training and it was horrendous at times.

“We had to train at a builders’ yard near the Station Hotel. We would go running up the road and then kick balls against a wall. You couldn’t play at all.”

However, Kerr managed to guide his makeshift team into the Scottish Cup in 2002, beating near rivals Gala Fairydean on the way, before losing out to Cowdenbeath.

He also fondly remembers playing Manchester United to mark the opening of Yarrow Park in the same year.

Kerr added: “Alex Ferguson could not make it, but Mike Phelan came along, who is now his assistant.

“United had the likes of David May, Luke Chadwick and Daniel Pugh from the first team in their squad. To play and manage against a Champions League winner (May) was just unbelievable.

“From being down in the dumps to playing in the Scottish Cup and against Manchester United was fantastic.”

Anderson was a player, sponge man and committee member for the Souters, before becoming the Edinburgh Evening News East of Scotland League reporter for the past 21 years.

He cites the arrival of manager Ian ‘Chalky’ Whitehead as the spark for Selkirk’s most successful reign, when 10 trophies were won in five seasons.

The 60-year-old told TheSouthern: “Ian Whitehead changed Selkirk FC forever in my eyes.

“He brought professionalism because he had played with Queen’s Park, Berwick Rangers and the Scotland amateur side. When he came along he brought a different mentality.

“We went on to win East of Scotland Qualifying Cup, beating Heriot-Watt University 2-0 at Shielfield Park in 73/74 and went from strength to strength.”

Anderson, who now lives in Edinburgh, added: “It was a fantastic time in the mid-70s to be involved with Selkirk. Since then I have always wanted Selkirk to be mentioned in the highest regard possible.

“Being bestowed this honour by your own club is the highlight of anyone’s career.”