Mixed fortunes for Lowland League sides in midweek matches

Garry O'Connor: Sent off against Edinburgh City
Garry O'Connor: Sent off against Edinburgh City

Gala Fairydean Rovers 3

Whitehill Welfare 3

Lowland League

Gala Fairydean Rovers halted a run of two successive home losses thanks to an injury time goal by substitute Ashley Langford at Netherdale on Wednesday night, writes Kenny Paterson.

In a thrilling match, Gala seemed destined for defeat after Whitehill Welfare striker Aaron Somerville had scored what had appeared to be the winner on 81 minutes, only for Langford to slam the ball home in the third minute of injury time.

In an end to end game which was a great advert for the Lowland League, Gala should have opened the scoring on five minutes only for Dean McColm to fire a shot straight at Welfare keeper Bryan Young.

Somerville failed to find the net from six yards out with no keeper to beat but the striker made amends with a thumping header past John Dodds on 20 minutes.

Craig McBride hit the bar with a header soon after and McColm fired wide again, but McColm found the net with a left foot shot beyond Young eight minutes before half time.

Gala went in front on 47 minutes as the impressive Lee Stephen swung in the perfect cross for Daryl Devlin to head in for a deserved goal.

But the lead only last until the hour when referee Ralph Gordon judged Whitehill’s Kerr Dodds to have been fouled in a penalty box stramash and gave a spot kick. Wayne McIntosh’s effort was saved by Dodds, but McIntosh fire in the rebound for his ninth goal of the season.

Former Vale man Somerville squeezed a shot into the net to put Welfare 3-2 up, but in a last gasp effort, Jamie Gibson’s shot struck the post and Langford fired home to send Netherdale into raptures.

Gala Fairydean Rovers: J. Dodds, L. Stephen, C. McBride, P. Hossack, A. Cosgrove, B. Miller, R. Aitchison, D. Devlin, J. Gibson, D. McColm (A. Langford 86), D. Bonnar (K. Lough 77).

Edinburgh City 3-0 Selkirk

Selkirk suffered their first defeat of the season against their bogey team, and Garry O’Connor was sent off a minute from time.

Goals from Ross Guthrie, John Dunn and Ross Allum were enough to end the Souters’ streak.

Stirling University 1-3 Vale of Leithen

Vale continued their return to form with a rousing 3-1 victory at Stirling.

Full report to follow.