Missed chance for Selkirk at Coldstream

Coldstream 3

Selkirk 0


ON A sunny afternoon at Home Park, both sides settled into a fast-paced confrontation quickly with chances falling at both ends.

At the end of the day, however, the Streamers made the most of theirs, leaving Selkirk still looking for their first league win of the season.

Early on, John Crawford was unfortunate not to convert a Gary Wales free kick while Selkirk’s Jason Inglis headed inches wide at the other end.

With almost every forward surge being followed by the referee’s whistle for offside, both teams grew increasingly frustrated, which spoiled some fantastic, flowing moves.

Midway through the half, Kieran Ainslie hit the crossbar for the fourth time this season with a header and Selkirk keeper John Dodds did brilliantly to paw away a looping effort which looked destined for the net.

It looked as if it would take something special to open the scoring and it did – Lee Lambert cut in from the touchline to hit a curling effort into the top corner. Selkirk remained dangerous as their intricate, passing play took them close to an equaliser, with Inglis again firing just off target.

The interval whistle brought to a close a great half of football and a great advert for the East of Scotland league.

The teams reappeared for the second half knowing that the next goal would be crucial. Jonathan Simpson thought he had doubled the lead as he hit a shot goalwards but, to his frustration, his effort struck the upright and spun across the goal line past the other post. Selkirk then had two glorious opportunities to get on the scoresheet, but the in-form Mark Walters was to deny them.

Any football fan would pay good money to see what followed at the other end. Lambert again showed his quality by hitting another shot right into the station to double the lead.

Moments later, he almost did the unthinkable, beating Dodds all ends up from 35 yards, only for the rasping drive to hit the crossbar and bounce favourably into the relieved keeper’s hands.

The referee, who did not have the best afternoon, then dismissed Jonny Watt for diving, much to the disbelief of both sides, before Aaron Punton headed home from a Lambert cross to seal all three points and keep Coldstream top.

Selkirk: J. Dodds, K. Munro, B. Milven, J. Higginbottom, L. Pyrkosz, L. Steven, J. Aitken, J. Inglis, D. Battle, M. Holness, J. Watt. Subs: R. McManus, R. Pepper, B. Connelly, B. Tait, J. Adamson, E. Pritchard, A. Butters.