McClure rounds off Kelso’s fight-back

Duns 2

Kelso United 2


GEORGE RILEY reports from Berwickshire High School

A LATE goal four minutes into stoppage time by teenager Calum McClure earned United a draw which, at one stage, seemed highly improbable.

Duns were two up as the clock reached 86 minutes. However, referee James Bee played six minutes of added time.

He had stopped play in the second half to lecture home manager Neil Oliver who was getting increasingly incensed with decisions made by the man in black.

Duns’ first sight of goal came after 15 minutes when Conor Devaney shot over from 20 yards, followed by a Gary Renton header which just went wide. Bruce Connelly in the United goal was then called into action, saving a shot from defender Michael Stewart.

Midway through the half a long-range cross from Sean Angus was inches away from Chris Black’s head. Black then did get his head to a Graeme Gillie corner, but Duns keeper Scott Lumsden saved.

United’s best chance of the half came five minutes before the break when Liam Wallace laid a pass onto the feet of McClure, with only the keeper to beat. But the youngster’s effort was blasted wide.

The home side went in front in the 58th minute. Stewart released Gary Waddell up the left touchline, the winger cut inside defender Gary McNulty and shot across keeper Connelly to find the corner of the net.

The introduction of United substitute Stuart Harker, normally a defender, to the front line almost paid dividends straight away as he set up Black to blast over.

Andrew Douglas was shown the red card in the 75th minute after committing his second bookable offence when bringing down Wallace.

United then had three chances on goal within five minutes. A free kick from 20 yards was chipped into the box by Black who found Harker, but the big man’s header just went wide. Then John McCutcheon crossed a ball from the right and Gary McNulty put over from six yards before Scott Lumsden then made the save of the game, denying McClure with a right- hand stop.

The home side increased their advantage in the 84th minute when Steven Tait fouled Mark Weatherburn at the right edge of the penalty box. James Brydon swung in the free kick and defender Gary Renton outjumped the visitors’ defence to head past Connelly.

United got a goal back two minutes later when Angus sent a through ball to McClure whose shot was parried by Lumsden, but only to Harker who powered his effort into the net.

The visitors kept up the pressure and got their reward in the 94th minute. A Liam Wallace cross from the right was touched on by Harker and McClure swept the ball home at the back post.

Kelso: B. Connelly, J. McCutcheon, S. Angus, G. McNulty, S. Tait, D. McNulty, C. McClure, C Black, G. Mabon (S. Harker 63), L. Wallace, G. Gillie.