Main man in a positive mood

Selkirk v Stirling University. Grant Gass
Selkirk v Stirling University. Grant Gass

AND so it goes on. Selkirk’s never-ending battle to avoid relegation rumbles on to tomorrow afternoon following their 2-2 draw at Whitehill Welfare on Wednesday night, writes Kenny Paterson.

Coupled with Preston Athletic’s point at Vale of Leithen, it means the Souters remain two points behind the East Lothian side, who are currently safe in 10th place, with two games left.

Bryan Templeton’s team travel to Civil Service Strollers and Athletic go to Edinburgh City tomorrow.

Speaking of his side’s chances of survival, assistant boss Davie Main said: “We have to be positive. Our remaining games are winnable and all our defeats have been close rather than by five or six goals. It is a struggle with injuries and suspensions, especially when you only have a squad of 15 to begin with.”

Selkirk went into the lead against Whitehill through Jamie Gibson on 25 minutes before the hosts drew level before the break. Des Sutherland looked to have given the visitors a vital three points, but Welfare equalised with a penalty six minutes from time.

Depleted Selkirk were eventually well beaten 3-1 against a quality Stirling University side last weekend, but not before they had given their second-placed visitors a fright.

After John Dodds performed a decent impression of Superman in the first half, with a series of great saves including a penalty stop, Sutherland’s precise chip from 20 yards put the homesters in front after the restart.

The lead lasted only nine minutes, however, as Abraham Keller’s free kick on 65 minutes evaded everyone bar Jason Atkins, who tapped home.

Substitute Craig Mason finished off Liam Corr’s cross by rounding Dodds for number two on 76 minutes. And winger Daniel Denholm sprinted past a shattered Selkirk defence to score the students’ third and clinch victory in the 84th minute.

Selkirk’s cause was not aided by Jay Wilson’s sending off with 10 minutes to go, the winger red-carded for comments to referee Peter Stuart which would have made Mary Whitehouse’s eyes water.

Main said afterwards: “The game plan worked for the first 55 minutes, but we struggled after that.

“John [Dodds] has been outstanding all season and made several amazing saves in the first half. He lost a silly goal for the equaliser, but you cannot knock the guy because he has kept us in games all season.”