Lily in the pink as Hawick rue missed chances

Peebles Rovers vs Hawick Royal Albert at Peebles. Nicky Cairns for Hawick RA.
Peebles Rovers vs Hawick Royal Albert at Peebles. Nicky Cairns for Hawick RA.

Hawick Royal Albert1

Easthouses Lily3

ROYAL ALBERT had chances aplenty in this East of Scotland First Division tie but failed to capitalise, writes John Slorance.

Hawick began firing on all cylinders and Michael Smith squandered a chance to open the scoring in the second minute in shooting wide from a Ronald Fleming cross.

Two minutes later Gary Shillinglaw was put in the clear by a spot on Fleming cross but blazed over the bar.

With 14 minutes gone Easthouses took the lead when Rory McKinnon floated over a corner kick and, taking advantage of some slack Hawick marking, Steven Campbell headed home.

After Lily keeper John Falconer had pulled off a superb stop in tipping a Nicky Cairns free kick over the bar, the Albert had a more than strong penalty claim turned down when Easthouses, Craig Stupart appeared to handle on the goal line, Edinburgh referee Paul Hanlon thought otherwise.

In the 26th minute McKinnon edged Lily further in front in slotting away an Ally Elliot cross.

Within minutes Paul McDermott was unfortunate not to get his name on the Lily score sheet when driving a shot against the post following a solo run. Just on half time Hawick were reduced to ten men, captain Michael McKenzie who had been booked earlier, picked up another caution and was dismissed. Early in the second half Falconer put up the shutters in pushing away a net bound Kevin Strathdee shot. The ball then broke into the path of Smith but the Albert striker miss hit a shot and a good chance was lost. On the hour mark the Albert reduced the leeway, Declan Hogg was brought down by Campbell in the box and Cairns put away the resultant spot kick. After Hogg came close to equalising with a cracking shot, Easthouses grabbed a third in the 73rd minute. Hawick keeper Andy Jack failed to cut out a swirling McDermott corner kick which then curled its way over the goal line.