Leith coast home against Kelso

Leith Athletic 4

Kelso United 0


GEORGE RILEY reports from Muirhouse

TWO goals within the first six minutes of each half killed off any chances that United may have had of upsetting the league leaders.

The home team started brightly and showed their intentions to attack whenever possible. The first assault came on the four-minute mark when a bending free kick by William Bremner tested United’s new keeper David Simmonds, who did well to dive to his left and push the ball round the post.

Two minutes later, Leith went in front when Euan Campbell scampered down the left wing and crossed into the box to find striker Jack Combe, who calmly struck the ball beyond former Peebles keeper Simmonds. United’s no 1 was called upon again when William Bremner tried his luck from 25yds, but his strike was well held by the keeper.

Kelso came to life for a few minutes on the half-hour mark when a free kick by Chris Black found the head of Stuart Harker in the box, but the big defender’s shot just went over the bar. This was followed by a Jamie Milner shot from the edge of the box which was held by home keeper Iain Gordon.

Leith should have gone two up just before half-time when a good run by Jason Stevens outstripped the Kelso defence and crossed for Jack Combe, but the no9 scooped the ball over the bar with only Simmonds to beat.

Six minutes into the second half and Athletic got their second goal. A corner on the left by full back Gavin Tainsh was swung into the visitor’s box. The Kelso defence failed to clear and Jason Stevens was on hand to strike the ball into the net.

On the hour Leith went three ahead when a free kick from Campbell at the edge of the box hit Steven Tait’s hand on its way through to goal. Referee John Weir adjudged that it was intentional handball and pointed to the spot. Campbell duly dispatched the penalty.

The game was all but over when Leith got their fourth and this time it was a corner from the right which, following a scramble in the box, fell to Robert Gay, who shot past substitute keeper Bruce Connelly who had replaced the injured Simmonds.

Kelso: D. Simmonds (B. Connelly), S. Tait , C. Black, L. Dunn, S. Harker, D. McNulty, J. Milner (J. Waugh), J. Swales, D. Burnett, D. Knox and S. Angus (M. Laidler).