Legion’s future in Division A looks bleak as must-win game goes badly

Hawick Legion 2

Chirnside 4


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Wilton Lodge Park

THREATENED with relegation, this was a game that Hawick Legion really needed to win.

But it wasn’t to be. The Teries simply failed to produce the goods and the Hawick side’s hopes of avoiding the drop are now slim indeed.

Legion started off brightly enough and after Chirnside keeper Stuart Black had saved a Jamie Nisbet header following a Peter Gellaitry free kick, Roddy McConnell was just off target with a header on meeting a David Battle corner.

In the 14th minute Chirnside broke the deadlock. Chris Young swung over a free kick and Steven Christie turned the ball home from close range at the back post.

With 33 minutes gone, Legion equalised when a Christie clearance hit William Monteith and cannoned into the net. Four minutes later Robert Armstrong restored Chirnside’s lead by polishing off a passing move with a spot-on finish.

Legion came rallying back and in the 59th minute got on level terms. Peter Gellaitry was brought down in the box by Lee Wood. Referee Alan Marshall awarded a penalty and Gellaitry made no mistake from the spot.

Legion’s joy was short-lived, as 10 minutes later Chirnside struck again. On being fed by a Jack Windram cross, substitute Jordan Lauder drove in a shot that diving Legion keeper Chris Watson did well to push out, but it broke to Lauder who calmly slotted the rebound.

With 15 minutes remaining Chirnside stretched their lead, Graham Turner beating Watson all the way with a powerful header after connecting with a well-flighted Young free kick.

Duns Amateurs 7

Hawick Waverley 2


Aided by four goals from Bruce Chisholm, league leaders Duns sailed to a clear-cut win.

Duns set the early pace and sent Waverley reeling by netting twice in the opening seven minutes through Chisholm and Andrew Douglas.

After Waverley had reduced the leeway, courtesy of an own goal, Chisholm notched a third for Duns despite his strike having a strong suspicion of offside about it.

This led to Waverley protests and the red-carding of Kevin McGaughey for speaking out of turn.

Towards the interval Chisholm completed his hat-trick.

Following the changeover Des Chisholm got his name on the Duns scoresheet before Bruce Chisholm grabbed his fourth of the game.

Back came Waverley and Grant Ferguson pulled a goal back when tucking away a Stuart Marshall cross. In the closing stages, Duns’ Gary Waddell completed the scoring.

Chirnside Colts 5

Hawick United 2


In a game in which Hawick had three players as well as their manager sent off in an amazing second half, Chirnside netted the two opening goals.

United then reduced the leeway when Kevin Strathdee put away a Joss Low cross. Chirnside duly slotted in a third, with United replying with another counter from Kevin Strathdee.

The homesters wiped out any hopes of a Hawick comeback, however, with two further goals.

United’s David Strathdee and Ross Scott were given their marching orders by the referee Alan Rome for second bookable offences, while Dean Fry was shown a straight red card. Hawick team boss George Shepherd was also dismissed.

Peebles Rovers Reserves 1

Gala Hotspur 3


GALA Hotspur’s faint promotion hopes remain alive thanks to a scrappy win at Kerfield Park.

The visitors opened the scoring when Sean Taylor knocked a header into his own net, but Stephen Murray equalised midway through the half with another headed goal.

However, Gala striker Scott Nightingale grabbed his first goal five minutes before the break when he cut inside and fired a shot into the net.

Gala keeper Shaun Bell made a couple of superb reaction stops, one of which came from a Mark Wilson header, to keep Spurs in the lead before Nightingale sealed the points with 10 minutes remaining.