Legion march on in amateur league campaign

Hawick Legion v Linton Hotspur at Hawick.
Hawick Legion v Linton Hotspur at Hawick.

Hawick Legion4

Linton Hotspur1

Two quicksilver goals in the closing stages of the first half, as well as two similar efforts in the closing stages of the second half, paved the way for a Hawick Legion victory.

Legion took a long and winding road, however, to reach their destination.

On top throughout, Legion bombarded the Hotspur goal with some relentless attacks, but due to a barrowload of squandered chances, and some resolute Linton defending, the Hawick men had to wait until deep into the game to secure a winning result.

In much need of full points to maintain their hopes of Border Amateur B Division title honours – as well as promotion – alive, Legion made the early running and Hotspur keeper Leigh Gordon pulled off a fine save in keeping out a Jamie Dickson shot.

Despite playing into a swirling wind, Legion continued to push forward and after Gordon had fisted away a Davie Fraser effort, Gary Moffat fired wide.

In the 21st minute, however, Linton took the lead with a goal from out of the blue. A horrendous bungle involving goalkeeper Euan Reilly and centre back Chris Brown resulted in the ball breaking to the feet of Rory Mellors. With an empty goal gaping in front of him it was a golden opportunity for Mellors to put his side ahead and the Hotspur striker gratefully took his chance.

After Jamie Dickson and Scott Duncan had failed to put away chances that would have put the homesters on a level pegging, Reilly denied Linton a second in getting down to parry a Campbell Forsyth shot.

With 40 minutes gone, Legion eventually turned their pressure into goals. Gordon spilled a Callum Hope shot and Duncan was on hand to stick away the rebound.

Two minutes later Legion went ahead, fastening onto a long ball from the back, Duncan surged forward to do the necessary with a spot on finish.

The second half was to be a similar pattern. Legion ran the show and Hotspur once again had their backs against the wall.

Once again, however, Legion fluffed chances and once again Linton defended in resolute style.

In the 86th minute though, Legion did add to their tally. Simon Philbin floated over a corner kick which was fumbled by Gordon. A goalmouth stramash duly followed and the ball ended up nestling in the back of the net with Hope claiming the final touch.

Within a minute of this, Euan Gray put the visitors into further arrears when driving home a Philbin pass.

Reflecting on his side’s victory, Rovers player/manager Mark Deans told The Southern: “We made it difficult for ourselves by not putting away our chances.

“Due to this, Linton Hotspur were in with a shout until we scored twice in the last five minutes. However, we got the win we were after and I am happy about that.”