Late winner knocks Kelso out of cup

Kelso United 2 Eyemouth United 3


Eyemouth progressed to the second round of the Alex Jack Cup with a last minute winner from full back Leigh Walker at Woodside Park.

The game got off to a slow start with both teams getting bogged down in midfield encounters and although Eyemouth pressed for most of the first half the closest the visitors came to scoring was when midfielder Martin Tait hit the crossbar from a free kick.

Kelso should have gone into the break with a goal when Chris Baillie burst from midfield into the box however the number six blasted wide with only Eyemouth keeper Paul Tansey to beat.

The game came to life in the second half as Kelso scored two goals within five minutes of the re-start. The first came from a mistake from Tansey as he tried to kick a back pass from his defence the keeper missed the ball completely and Calum McClure nipped in to knock the ball into the empty net. The home side made it two when McClure outstripped the home defence down the left and squared for Des Burnett to ram home from close range.

Eyemouth reduced the deficit within a minute when leading striker Steven Shennon found room in the box from a cross by Kiren Bullen to head home.

Elliott Turnbull in the home goal was then at full stretch to tip over a Stuart Coyle shot from the edge of the box.

Kelso had another chance on the hour when Andy Noble was through on goal but somehow the winger got his legs in a tangle and the ball went inches past the post.

The visitors then scored in the next attack when again Shennon was given space in the box by the home defence and he took advantage by firing a right foot shot past the diving Turnbull.

Kelso’s Grant Gass then had a couple of shots on goal the first saved by Tansey and the second blocked by defender Walker.

Shennon almost got his hat trick when he saw his header saved on the line by Turnbull following good work by Coyle.

Eyemouth then had strong claims for a penalty when a shot from Shennon struck Burnett on the hand but referee Alan Hogg waved play on.

The home side were now out on their feet following their exertions at Hibs in midweek and Eyemouth took advantage in the last minute when a move down the right found Walker on the left side of the box, the full back side footing a left foot shot into the net to give the visitors victory.

Kelso United: E. Turnbull, D. McNulty, S. Tait, D. Bowie, P. Dumma, C. Baillie, A. Noble (S. Bonnington 75), G. Gass, D. Burnett, C. McClure, J. Lauder (L. Hill 89).