Late Shipyard goal sinks Selkirk’s hopes again

Selkirk 3 Burntisland Shipyard 3

EoS First Division

Selkirk FC v Burntisland Shipyard

Selkirk FC v Burntisland Shipyard

It took just 24 hours for Selkirk’s new 100-seater stand to be build but on the pitch they failed to show the same efficiency, writes Kenny Paterson.

The concession of two sloppy goals in the final 15 minutes mean the Souters remain in lowly 12th place.

The side was tipped to be among the promotion candidates of an incredibly competitive First Division, but instead have left manager Mike McKinnon a frustrated figure on the sidelines all season.

He was no different last Saturday as Burntisland Shipyard went home with a point. McKinnon told us: “We were 3-1 up and cruising but we are not ruthless enough.

“We didn’t keep the ball and allowed them back into it. We don’t have any resilience and the equalising goal was poor defending.”

Despite what the scoreline suggests, this was far from a thriller in the First Division.

The first half in particular was poor fare, although the gusty wind made playing conditions difficult.

Selkirk should have gone ahead when Jason Inglis almost accepted the invite from Lee Stephen’s tempting cross, only to agonisingly miss the ball six yards out.

There was little else to shout about until 44 minutes and it resulted in Burntisland taking the lead as Blair Grubb drilled a low shot across John Dodds into the bottom corner.

But the Shipyard’s defence proved leaky 60 seconds later as Callum Peoples was given plenty time to fire a shot past Mikey Couser.

The Souters went ahead for the first time three minutes after the break when Jason Inglis saw his shot saved by Couser, only for Jamie Gibson to smash home the rebound.

And Yarrow Park looked certain to welcome only its third home league win of the season when Inglis powerfully headed in a Bobby Gay curling free kick for a goal of real quality in the 63rd minute.

However, Burntisland came more into the game through substitute Alex Peoples, who showed there is still room in Scottish football for a pint-sized skilful winger.

He kickstarted the comeback, helping Kevin Masson fire a low shot beyond Dodds with 15 minutes to go and in the 90th minute a long throw by Stephen Connor was flicked into the top corner by Masson.

Selkirk: J. Dodds, L. Stephen, K. Munro, B. Milven, E. Pritchard, D. Johnston, M. Holness, J. Inglis, J. Gibson, B. Gay, C. Peoples (D. Bolton 90).