Kelso United march on despite defeat

Back of the net...Clydesdale sides will be looking for goals today
Back of the net...Clydesdale sides will be looking for goals today

Kelso United 1 Lothian Thistle HV 3


THIS match turned out to be a very low key affair with Lothian Thistle already section A winners of the Qualifying League and Kelso 99% sure of securing 3rd place.

Only a miracle result for Civil Service Strollers against Tynecastle was going to pip the home team from an away tie to Stirling University in the next round.

As results transpired Civil Service drew with Tynecastle so United were comfortably through.

“The boys played a lot better than last week and we had chances to draw or even win the game.

“Lothian are top of the Premier League so we knew they would be a decent side but both games against them in the section have been close games,” commented manager Prof Blaikie.

The away team were first to have a shot on goal but winger Willis Hare was off target with his 20 yard effort. United were swift to reply when Jordan Lauder shot wide following some good work in midfield by Declan Hogg and Ryan Beveridge.

The visitors took the lead in the 18th minute when Connor McDonald swung in a corner on the right which was met by the head of defender John Williams, United keeper Willie Stewart managed to parry the ball but striker Scott Moffat was first to react to the loose ball and shot home from close range.

United went close five minutes later when a ball down the left found Lauder who crossed to the far post and a Hogg drive whistled past the post.

Hogg went close again in the 35th minute latching onto a Darren Bowie cross but again the shot was just off target.

The home side did get their reward with five minutes of the half remaining. Hogg picked up the ball in midfield and slalomed past four Thistle players before releasing to Beveridge who in turn fed Shane Bonnington to blast the ball in the net past keeper Kevin Swain.

United started the second half as they left the first on the front foot and Steven Tait rose to a Lauder free kick but Swain was in position to hold the ball.

A free kick by McDonald hit the top of the bar after Bowie had fouled Jordan Finney at the edge of the box.

United had chance to go in front in the 55th minute a good move down the left saw Lauder cross into the box, the ball eluded Beveridge but fell to Hogg on the penalty spot however keeper Swain was smartly off his line and did well to dive at the feet of the United man to clear the danger.

On the hour Thistle regained the lead as Sean Wringe picked up the ball in midfield and slotted a perfect pass to the on rushing Moffat to sweep a shot into the far corner of the net beyond Stewart.

Hogg was having a fine afternoon and again had the visitors defence mesmerised with another mazy run however his final shot went wide of the mark.

The visitors eventually put the tie to bed in the final minute when winger McDonald burst from the left touchline into the box and placed an angled shot into the net.

Kelso United: W. Stewart, B. Herdman, C. Black (L. Palmer 85), D. Bowie, D. McNulty, S. Tait, S. Bonnington, R. Beveridge, J. Lauder, D. Hogg, C. Gass (L Hill 79).