Kelso out after keeper blunder

Civil Service Strollers 4

Kelso United 1


GEORGE RILEY reports from Muirhouse

EIGHT minutes into the second half of this tie, United keeper David Simmonds had a nightmare which completely changed the outcome.

Kelso were well on top and a goal up when a speculative free kick into the box from 40 yards out sailed straight over the keeper’s head. Then, two minutes later Simmonds was walking to the dressing room after upending Civil Service midfielder Liam Jack in the penalty box.

The Tweedsiders started the game well and were nearly in front after five minutes when a mistake at the back by the home defence saw Jonny Waugh fire a shot at Strollers keeper Alan Dillon, which he failed to hold in the wet conditions, though he recovered in time to stop Jamie Milner getting to the ball.

United continued to dominate their Premier Division opponents and it was no surprise when the Woodside Park men eventually took the lead. A throw from the right touchline by Jason Coles found Aaron Swailes, who neatly played the ball to Chris Black. The striker curled an unstoppable right-foot shot into the top left-hand corner of the net.

The second half started as the first half finished with United having the bulk of the play.

Then after 53 minutes, a free kick was awarded after Milner was adjudged to have handled the ball in a tackle. Peter Newby stepped forward and hit a long ball into the box, and to everybody’s surprise it ended up in the back of the net after Simmonds failed to pick up the flight of the ball.

Things went from bad to worse for the United keeper when a through-ball found Jack bearing down on goal. The Kelso keeper misjudged his diving challenge and upended the midfielder.

Referee John Weir produced the red card and that was the end of the match for the United man. Milner had to be withdrawn so that Bruce Connelly could take over in goal and the resultant penalty was duly dispatched by Gerry Burgess.

Advantage changed hands and although United tried to get back into the game, it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

A second penalty saw Burgess claim a second before John Dunn outpaced the Kelso defence and slotted the ball past Connelly to complete the scoring.

Kelso United: D. Simmonds (B. Connelly 55), D. McNulty, S. Angus, J. McCutcheon, S. Harker, S. Tait, J. Milner, J. Coles, C. Black, A. Swailes, J. Waugh.