Kelso made to pay for poor marking


Kelso United0

The wind was a major factor in this game at Recreation Park, with Kelso unable to take advantage of conditions in the first half and the home side capitalising in the second.

“We were down to the bare bones for players this week with injuries, suspensions and late call-offs,” said United manager Prof Blaikie.

“If we had been awarded a stonewall penalty in the first half, the game might have been a bit different. However, our marking at set-pieces let us down and we paid for it.”

The home team were first to have an effort on goal as Ormiston striker Jonathan Edmond shot from the edge of the penalty box, but Kelso keeper Elliott Turnbull was equal to the challenge.

Midway through the half good work down the right by United’s Jack Logan found Ewan Hutchison, whose right-footed goal-bound shot was deflected wide.

The Tweedsiders should have been awarded a penalty five minutes before the break. Home keeper Ross Combe failed to gather a Ben Herdman cross and as he tried to retrieve the ball he brought down Hutchison who was about to fire home, but to United’s astonishment, referee Iain Sneddon waved play on.

It only took the home side four minutes into the second period to go in front. A corner by defender Craig Wojtowicz found Steven Finlayson unmarked in the box and the midfield man made no mistake with a well-placed header.

Three minutes later, Ormiston made it two and again it was from a corner from Wojtowicz. As he fired in the set-piece the United defence failed to clear and defender Ross Ferguson bundled the ball over from close range.

The visitors nearly got a goal back as a long throw from Herdman into the box made it through to Hutchison and the midfielder swivelled and struck a shot which Combe did well to save.

Ormiston’s third goal came when a long clearance from keeper Combe into the United half saw Edmond getting a flick header past the defence before driving a shot past Turnbull.

Turnbull was then called into action, saving at his near post from Barker, who was first to react to a Wojtowicz free kick.