Kelso goal fest continues with victory over Burntisland

Kelso United 3 Burntisland Shipyard 1


GEORGE RILEY reports from Woodside Park

UNITED eventually proved too strong for league newcomers Burntisland Shipyard at Woodside Park on Saturday.

The home side huffed and puffed for the first period of the game but once they got their first goal it seemed to settle the side who probably should have won more convincingly.

Satisfied United Manager Prof Blaikie commented: “It was good to get another win under our belts and it helps that we are starting to score goals with seven in the last two games. Hopefully we can continue this through to Ormiston next week.”

It was a tedious first 20 minutes with neither side producing much goal box action, the only effort was when United keeper Scott Dowie had to make a save from a Stephen Connor shot.

It took Kelso 22 minutes to muster a worthwhile attack on the visitor’s goal and it paid dividends. A good ball from Chris Black found Des Burnett down the right channel and the strikers shot was put round the post by Shipyard keeper Mikey Couser. From the resultant corner Jordan Lauder floated a high cross to the back post and Steven Tait rose above the defence to power a header home.

United were beginning to get into their stride and a ball into the box was knocked back by Lauder into the path of Burnett who blazed over the bar. This was quickly followed by a long range shot by Sean Angus but the defender’s shot was again too high.

On the half hour mark keeper Couser did well to stop a Calum McClure shot on the line after some good work by Lauder down the left. Lauder was proving a handful for the visitors and took off down the right this time crossing for Burnett in the box but the strikers effort was saved by the visitor’s no 1. Half time score: Kelso United 1 Burntisland Shipyard 0.

Shortly after the restart Chris Black had a header cleared off the goal line from a Lauder corner.

Burntisland’s best chance came on the hour when striker Connor was through on goal but Dowie was equal to the task saving at point blank range.

United’s second goal came in the 73rd minute when a free kick was awarded at the right edge of the box and substitute Graeme Gillie whipped in a cross for Black to head home unopposed from six yards.

Ten minutes later the home side made it three when some good interplay by Burnett and Black saw the latter blast a shot at the visitor’s keeper who could only parry the ball into the path of substitute Stuart Harker who coolly slotted home from 12 yards.

Burntisland got a consolation goal two minutes from time when midfielder Brendan Napier waltzed past three defenders before placing the ball in the corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Kelso United: S. Dowie, J. McCutcheon, S. Angus, G. McNulty, D. McNulty, S. Tait (G. Gillie 55), C. McClure (C Webb 77), C. Black, D. Burnett, G. Mabon (S Harker 70), J. Lauder.