Kelso fail to weather the storm at Newbattle in final match of season

Easthouses Lily5

Kelso United3

United ended the season on a low, defeated by a strong and physical Easthouses team in terrible weather conditions at Newbattle.

Kelso seemed to be in control of the game at 2-1 up midway through the first half but lack of concentration at vital times proved to be the downfall of the visitors.

United got off to the worst possible start when the home team went in front after 35 seconds. A ball from midfield bounced up and hit the hand of Garry Mabon 30 yards from goal. From the resultant free kick, man mountain John Hunter fired a powerful shot that United keeper Scott Treible did well to parry onto the post. However, Lily midfielder Jason Young was first to react and slotted it into the net.

United were unlucky in the 15th minute when Des Burnett struck the post following some good work by Jordan Lauder, however the strikers luck was about to change a minute later when he got in front of the Lily defence and promptly dispatched the ball past Bryan Young. Kelso were in the ascendency and went in front midway through the half. Burnett latched onto a ball from midfield and laid a pass to the right where Calum McClure was running at pace, the wing man took a touch before firing past the advancing keeper.

Lily equalised after 37 minutes, a quick throw in from the right touchline found midfielder Scott Borthwick in space who shot from the edge of the box, this was blocked by Treible but once again it was a home forward who pounced, this time Graeme Young, to knock home. Five minutes from the break and the home side went in front. Using the wind to his advantage, Jason Young swung in a corner from the left which sailed over everybody and into the top corner of the net.

Midway through the second half Easthouses made it four when Hunter slotted a left foot shot past the diving keeper and substitute James Currie got the home side’s fifth goal in the 86th minute.

United reduced the deficit with two minutes left when Burnett rattled a right foot shot into the top corner.