Kelso boss rues frustrating inability to secure victory

Duns v Kelso United. 1-1.
Duns v Kelso United. 1-1.



It was honours even in this First Division encounter at Berwickshire High School.

The scoreline could have been a lot different if both teams had converted their chances in front of goal, though, as some poor finishing made for a frustrating afternoon for both managers. The game seemed destined to a scoreless draw until United made the breakthrough in the 80th minute with a Jordan Lauder left-footed goal, but the lead only lasted seven minutes when substitute Mark Bolton replied with a nicely-struck free kick.

“It was a poor performance from our guys today. In the end, we could have snatched a win, but Duns have certainly improved from earlier in the season,” commented Kelso boss Prof Blakie.

The home side had the first chance of the game after three minutes when Mike Robinson broke down the left and his cross was only inches away from Martyn Tait running in at the back post.

The Tweedsiders had a golden chance five minutes later. Grant Gass threaded a great ball through from midfield into the path of Calum McClure, but the teenager’s shot went straight into the arms of Scott Lumsden.

Elliot Turnbull in the United goal was then called into action, saving a Robinson right-foot shot, and had to react to a Shane McGregor free kick.

The home side were unlucky not to go in front when a Robinson shot hit the underside of the bar following some good work by Leigh Walker.

Into the second half, Kelso’s Liam Wallace found McClure in space at the edge of the box, but his goalbound effort was deflected wide.

Kelso went in front with 10 minutes remaining. Wallace picked up the ball in midfield and pushed the ball to Lauder, who turned defender Gary Renton before placing his shot in the corner of the net beyond Lumsden. Then Gass sent Wallace scampering into the box and only a deflection off the leg of defender Walker prevented the midfielder’s shot going into the net.

Duns equalised with three minutes remaining. United defender Steven Tait fouled striker Robinson 20 yards out. Bolton stepped up and took the free kick which hit the inside of both posts before nestling in the net.

United had the better of te closing stages, but could not retake their lead.