Jack denies Dingers
victory at Albert Park

editorial image
Share this article

Hawick Royal Albert3


BIDDING to gain revenge for a defeat at the hands of Hawick the previous week, wind assisted Duns dominated the early stages of this East of Scotland encounter, writes John Slorance.

Albert keeper Andy Jack, denied Duns an opener with the first of what was to be a string of excellent first half stops in keeping out a Martin Tait shot.

After Hawick’s Michael Smith had squandered a chance at the other end, Jack denied the Dingers a strike in pushing a net bound Tait shot round the post.

Following another splendid Jack stop from a Shane McGregor free kick, the Albert replied with a sweeping raid that ended in Paul Brown shooting wide when in the clear from a Graeme Young pass.

Within minutes of this the Albert took the lead when Young prodded home an Innes Zenati cross.

Duns came rallying back and after Jack had twice put up the shutters with further saves, got on level terms. Michael Robinson producing the scoring touch from a Michael Stewart pass.

Just off half time, Young polished off a good passing move to regain the Albert’s lead. Minutes into the second half Duns equalised.

Jack who had performed heroics during the first period fumbled a Stewart shot and the lurking Steven Shennan drove the loose ball into the net.

Another bungle by Jack led to Duns edging ahead. The big keeper completely mishit a clearance when attempting to boot clear a Shaun Fallan pass back.

The ball broke to the feet of Tait who struck a pass into the path of Robinson which was tucked away by the Duns striker.

An off the ball flare up then led to Hawick’s Michael McKenzie being given his marching orders for aggressive conduct.

The Albert skipper had to be pulled back by team mates following an incident with Shennan who, it was later claimed, had licked the Albert midfielder’s face.

The referee saw absolutely nothing.

Ten man Hawick duly got on a level pegging when Ronald Fleming found the net with a superbly hit free kick that raged high into the net.