Gretna go to town on United

Gretna 2008 7

Kelso United 2


GEORGE RILEY reports from

Raydale Park

A SIX-GOAL blitz in the final 20 minutes of the first half left Kelso United reeling at Raydale Park.

Having already lost 14 goals in their last three games, the Tweedsiders, with three players suspended, had no answer to a lively Gretna outfit, but did manage to stem the tide in the second half.

The home team showed their attacking intentions as early as the second minute when forward Gavin Reilly was thwarted by a good save from United’s Bruce Connelly.

Kelso hung on until the 25th minute when a good run down the right saw Daniel Rayson skip past Steven Tait before delivering a cross into the six-yard box which the back-tracking John McCutcheon could only divert into his own net.

Five minutes later and Gretna were two in front when central defender Alan Inglis out-jumped his United counterpart Stuart Harker to place his header beyond the reach of Connelly.

Number three arrived on 32 minutes as midfielder James Earl crossed for the unmarked Gavin Reilly to sidefoot the ball into the net.

The Gretna team were now attacking at will and after 35 minutes a long-range cross into the box from the right touchline by Earl eluded everyone in the penalty area and sailed into the net.

The game had just restarted when United keeper Connelly was picking the ball out of the net again as a long ball from the back found Reilly who outpaced the beleaguered Kelso defence and slid the ball into the net for his second and Gretna’s fifth.

And the home side made it six on 42 minutes as a cross from the right saw striker Adam McMath rise above the United defence and head past youngster Connolly.

United did get a goal back a minute later, when some good interplay between Damien McNulty and Des Burnett found new boy Craig Bell at the edge of the box and the winger fired a shot into the corner of the net past the diving Gretna keeper Connor Grant.

Kelso manager Prof Blaikie rung the changes at half-time which stabilised the visitors.

They got their second goal when Mark Lockhart stroked the ball through to Des Burnett who clinically finished, but Gretna evenutally got their seventh on 83 minutes as McMath scored his second.

Kelso United: B. Connelly, J. McCutcheon, S. Angus (M. Lockhart 45), S. Tait (M. Laidler 81), S. Harker, D. McNulty, A. Jamieson (A. Swailes 45 ), P. Dumma, D. Burnett, C. Black and C. Bell.