Gibson wonder-strike was good for Selkirk’s Image

Selkirk 1

Heriot-Watt University 0


ALISTAIR MATHESON reports from Yarrow Park

A SENSATIONAL goal from striker Jamie Gibson earned the Souters a quarter-final tie against Premier Division leaders Spartans at Yarrow Park later this month.

There were just 10 minutes on the clock when a Selkirk attack down the left resulted in a throw-in, following which Barry Milven took possession. His cross was met by Gibson’s perfectly-executed overhead kick into the postage-stamp corner, leaving goalkeeper Blair Carswell a mere spectator.

Heriot-Watt, who went into the top flight as Selkirk left it at the end of last season, had plenty of possession during the remainder of the half, but missed the guile of suspended playmaker Sean Muhsin.

However, Chris Donnelly did force a good save from John Dodds, cutting in via the right wing to fire a left-footed shot which the goalie turned over the bar.

The students came out for the second half with renewed purpose and Selkirk were content to defend in depth.

There was a loud claim for a penalty when Donnelly threaded the ball through to Frazer Paterson and the big central defender, taking some time to sort out his feet and get a shot away, fell under a strong challenge.

But referee Scott Jamieson waved away the appeals.

As Heriot-Watt turned up the heat, Dodds had a busy spell, turning Michael Webster’s close-range shot over the bar, making an instinctive block at the near post from a glancing header by Andy Forbes, then racing out to save at the feet of Ronnie Napier.

Selkirk weathered the storm and began to move forward again. Following a long throw on the right, there was a sustained scramble in the visitors’ penalty box, ending with Gibson’s shot being blocked by the long leg of Paterson.

Watt substitute Jamie Forsyth had a glorious chance to equalise minutes after joining the action. But when a corner found him unmarked at the back post, he brought the ball down and shot wide from around eight metres. Michael Connor had an even clearer opportunity when Webster played him in, but again the shot failed to ask a question of Dodds.

Selkirk: J. Dodds, D. Johnson (L. Stephen 73), B. Milven, J. Higginbottom, K. Munro, B. Tait, M. Holness, R. McManus, J. Gibson, J. Watt (A. Butters 84), D. Battle.