Game saver Wilson makes up for previous mistake

Gala Fairydean vs Selkirk FC at Netherdale. Gala Fairydean Rovers manager Steven Noble.
Gala Fairydean vs Selkirk FC at Netherdale. Gala Fairydean Rovers manager Steven Noble.

Threave Rovers1

Gala F’dean Rovers4

Gala keeper Mark Wilson produced a game-saving penalty stop to help Fairydean Rovers to another three points on the road at Castle Douglas on Saturday.

The 31-year-old keeper held his hands up and admitted his mistake led to his old club Vale of Leithen’s winner last week. But he made amends with a fantastic spot-kick save to smother Danny Dunglison’s effort just five minutes from time.

Wilson said:”I was pretty gutted after Wednesday’s game against the Vale.

“Being a goalkeeper any mistake you make is going to be costly.

“The penalty was an important save. It was just luck, really, as I took a guess on which side to dive to and it paid off.

“If they had been scored we could have been under the cosh for the final few minutes when we had looked comfortable for the win for most of the game.

“But in this league everyone seems to be beating each other, so it is all very tight.”

Stuart Noble had given Gala the lead with a well-struck angled free kick into the bottom corner in the 19th minute after Threave keeper Nikola Rajovic had been penalised for handling outside the box.

But 10 minutes before the interval, Gala failed to clear their lines and the loose ball was rifled into the net from 25 yards by right back Scott Wilby.

The visitors stepped up a gear at the start of the second half and regained the lead in the 55th minute with a well-worked goal. Dean McColm played a short corner to deputising left back Billy Miller, who glided past the challenges of two defenders before unleashing a fierce right-foot shot into the far corner of the net.

There were chances to increase the lead with Ryan Clapperton forced a fine save from Rajovic in 68 minutes and five minutes later when Taylor Hope burst through the Threave defence, only to shoot straight at the keeper.

The Netherdale men looked to be coasting at Meadow Park when Jamie Gibson slammed home a penalty in the 83rd minute to make it 3-1.

The home side were awarded a penalty two minutes later – Ross Aitchison being harshly adjudged to have handled a shot just inside the box – but Wilson made sure it wasn’t going to be an uncomfortable climax to the game by diving to his right and smothering Dunglison’s shot.

Noble had the last word for Gala as he latched onto a McColm through ball and skipped past a defensive challenge before drilling the ball into the corner of the net.

Manager Steven Noble said: “It was a big three points for us.

“We pushed the full backs up at the start of the second half as there were gaps to be exploited and it paid off.

“We started well, but lost our way at the end of the first half. However, it was a great response by the players in the second period.”