Forrest over the moon as Souters land local victory

Selkirk (blue) vs Gala Fairydean Rovers at Selkirk.
Selkirk (blue) vs Gala Fairydean Rovers at Selkirk.
Share this article


Gala FDR1

THERE were six goals in this highly entertaining Lowland League Cup match played at a very windy Yarrow Park last Saturday.

And all six were scored by underdogs Selkirk.

Even the home fans were stunned as Steve Forrest’s side eventually came good and put on a performance very much worthy of their Lowland League status.

For the Selkirk manager himself, however, it was just a matter of time before his “team in progress” found their feet.

“I am over the moon with today’s win,” he told The Southern.

“I’m absolutely delighted for the club and even more so for the players themselves who put on a great display.

“We now have the makings of a team that can compete with anyone in the league.”

Blustery conditions made both sides cautious in the early stages of the game as the ball, at times, took on a life of its own. All things changed, however, in the 35th minute, when a goalmouth scramble resulted in David Battle poking the ball past John Dodds and a bit of self belief began to creep into Selkirk’s play.

Confidence was boosted further when Phil Addison, returning from a foot injury, demonstrated his full recovery by dancing around the Gala defence for a peach of a goal just after the break.

Fairydean did attempt to retaliate, but Dean McColm’s shot was helped over the crossbar by the increasingly strong wind, and Steven Noble’s men, featuring a handful of former Selkirk players, seemed at a loss as to how to cope with the situation.

Addison added another minutes later with a similar flourish and not long after Yanis Lamghari got in on the act when Addison turned provider for the French recruit to notch his first goal for the Souters. All four of Forrest’s Edusport Academy signings took part in the game and all four played key roles in the victory, Benjamin Huteau in particular proving a huge thorn in the side of the visitors.

Now trailing by four goals, a shell shocked Gala tried valiantly to keep themselves in the game and a lengthy spell of pressure saw them grab a goal back, although it was much thanks to Battle on the opposite side, whose attempt at a clearance went drastically wrong and shot past a helpless Gregor Amos in the Selkirk goal.

Lamghari added a fifth to consolidate the win and it was with great celebration that the home team and their supporters greeted the final whistle.