Football: Tynecastle 1-0 Hawick Royal Albert

Robert Boyd in action for Hawick Royal Albert
Robert Boyd in action for Hawick Royal Albert

A five star performance from Tynecastle goalkeeper Ross McMullen and the failure to make the most of an abundance of scoring chances.

Put this together and it tells the story of how Hawick Royal Albert ended up being on the wrong end of the result in this encounter which was switched from Tynecastle’s unplayable Saughton Enclosure ground to Heriot Watt University’s 3G pitch at Riccarton Campus.

Hawick’s all round showing was favourable, apart from their big failure of being unable to turn pressure into goals.

Its goals that win games though as the Albert Park men found out to their cost.

Hawick opened brightly and with two minutes gone almost broke the deadlock.

On being fed by a Blake Wales pass, Josh Morris drove in an angled shot that looked a goal all the way.

Tynecastle keeper Ross McMullen however put paid to this in pulling off the first of what was to be several top notch saves by leaping to his right to push the ball away at full stretch.

After McMullen had saved from Gavin Pettigrew, Hawick number one Kyle Rankin excelled in keeping out a well struck Michael Catlin drive.

Play continued at a brisk pace and Albert’s Alieu Faye twice spurred chances within a matter of minutes.

Man of the match McMullen then denied the Teries an opener in spreading himself to block a Morris shot after the striker had met a Ryan Stevenson cross.

With six minutes of the first half remaining Tynecastle edged ahead.

Stewart Adams hit a free kick forward which looked saveable. His effort however beat a slow moving Rankin and ended up nestling in the back of the net.

Seconds from the break Tynecastle’s Scott Coleman was given his marching orders for a foul on Stewart Crozier.

Coleman was a little unfortunate to be red carded although he did deserve a yellow.

Early in the second period a Faye pass set up Morris who unleashed a shot that forced McMullen into making yet another outstanding save.

After Ryan Malcolm and Catlin had came near to extending Tynecastle’s lead, an inspired McMullen broke Hawick hearts once more when palming a deflected Robert Boyd shot over the bar.

With ten men Tynecastle tiring Hawick ruled the latter stages of the game. Chances fell their way but a goal did not arrive.

Giving his thoughts on the game, Hawick assistant manager and former Hearts and Inverness Caledonia player Dean Robertson said: “It was just one of those days for us.

“Tynecastle are a good organised side but even when they had eleven guys on the park we were as good as them. We just couldn’t score though and squandered some glaring chances. I was very impressed with the Tynecastle keeper who was in great form.”