Football: Selkirk 3-1 Threave Rovers

Scotland International Garry Kenneth in action for Selkirk
Scotland International Garry Kenneth in action for Selkirk

August 2010 saw a 23-year-old Garry Kenneth make his Scotland debut against a Sweden side containing Zlatan Ibrahimovic in front of 25,000 spectators.

Five-and-a-half years later, the former Dundee United centre half turned out for Selkirk against Lowland League strugglers Threave Rovers in front of a Yarrow Park crowd of around 100.

But Kenneth showed no signs of mourning the direction of his career during a dominant display as a trialist, which Selkirk manager Garry O’Connor hopes will lead to the Dundonian signing for the club.

O’Connor, whose side won for the first time since he took charge, said: “There is still some work to do if the club is to sign Garry Kenneth but I am hopeful it will happen.

“We have made some good signings with David Robertson, Ross King and Bayan Fenwick joining us and if would be great to add Garry to the squad.

“That win has been coming for weeks – we have been putting in good performances but not getting the results.

“The conditions were really hard but we kept trying to play football and our attitude was spot on.”

Without a win since triumphing 5-4 at Burntisland Shipyard in October last year, this game was great opportunity for Selkirk to grab a much needed first win against a Threave side with just three points this season.

But the Souters looked in danger of losing their eighth game in a row under O’Connor when Rovers took a shock lead on 13 minutes thanks to Ben Irving’s fine finish from the edge of the penalty area.

Worse was to follow as Phil Addison earned a penalty after being tripped by Greig Goodwin, only for new boy Bayan Fenwick to see his spot kick saved by Martin McAulay.

Selkirk upped the pressure and two goals in two minutes changed the tide of this game. Ex-Crystal Palace player Fenwick made amends for his penalty miss with a sweet strike after a goalmouth stramash on 42 minutes, before Murray Christie’s curling free kick was poked in by Robertson just 60 seconds later.

Threave goalie McAulay was superb throughout the match and made a fine save to deny Addison his sixth goal of the season just after the break.

Selkirk looked comfortable throughout the second half, with the imposing Kenneth heading clear any threats from Threave, but the homesters still needed a third goal to settle the nerves.

And it eventually arrived with 12 minutes left. Substitute Mark Samson burst to the byline and his lofty cross gave Fenwick the simple opportunity to head in from six yards.

Selkirk: J. Newman, M. Collin (M. Samson 66), M. Christie, G. Kenneth, S. Ritchie, C. McLeod (C. Handren 82), R. King, D. Robertson, J. Butler, B. Fenwick, P. Addison (L. McKenzie 76).