Football: Hawick Royal Albert 3-6 Tynecastle

For the opening hour of this free scoring encounter, Hawick Royal Albert were very impressive and appeared to be in with a very good chance of getting a result.

Monday, 14th December 2015, 8:59 am
Hawick goalie under pressure.

This result however never came about. Hawick dropped a gear, Tynecastle hit full throttle and the rest is history.

In a game that had been switched to Gala Fairydean Rovers 3G ground at Netherdale due to Albert Park being unplayable, Tynecastle broke the deadlock in the 12th minute by courtesy of an own goal.

Robert Boyd emerging the sinner in steering the ball into the net with his head when attempting to clear a Calvin Muttit cross.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two minutes later Hawick drew level.

After breaking down the right Alieu Faye found Josh Morris with an inside pass and the Albert striker duly produced a spot on finish by firing home.

Hawick’s joy was short-lived for within three minutes Tynecastle regained their lead.

Fergus Lockhart lost possession in midfield and the Edinburgh side launched a sweeping attack which ended in Stewart O’Neil netting. The Albert took this in their stride though by snatching an equaliser in their first attack from the kick off.

Working himself into the clear, Morris rattled in a shot that was blocked by Tynecastle keeper Ross McMullen.

The ball then broke to the feet of Faye who netted from close range.

After Ryan Stevenson had came close to putting Hawick ahead, Albert number one Kyle Rankin pulled off a superb save from Stewart Adams.

Matters continued at a lively pace and with two minutes of the first period remaining the Albert edged ahead for the first time.

Gavin Pettigrew swung a corner kick into the goalmouth and new recruit Daryl Johnson made it a scoring debut in beating McMullen all the way with a powerful header.

The first half action was not quite over for Tynecastle came bouncing back to snatch an equaliser just on the closing last whistle when Willie Mitchell scored.

Hawick made the running after the break and after Norris had been foiled by a McMullen save, Lockhart was just off target with a good effort.

Tynecastle gradually began to make their mark more and O’Neil rifled a shot wide before seeing a net bound header tipped round the post by Rankin.

In the 74th minute Michael Catlin put Tynecastle in front with a low shot that slipped through the hands of Rankin.

Tynecastle were now in the driving seat and in the 85th minute O’Neill made it a nap hand.

A minute from time, Adams rubbed further salt in Hawick wounds by taking on a man and drilling a shot into the net.

Hawick manager Dean Shanks said of the game, “I am disappointed with the result as there was not a three goal difference between the two sides”.