Fishermen produce perfect storm

Eyemouth United 7

Hawick Royal Albert 1



from Warner Park

THERE was surprisingly not even a hint of a breeze at Eyemouth on Saturday: however, there was a whirlwind of goals and seven of them gusted past Hawick Royal Albert.

Hawick were not quite blown away as much as the scoreline suggests, though.

Albert assistant manager Stuart Sharkey told TheSouthern: “The score looks bad for us, but no way were there six goals between the two sides. Our boys played their socks off but we never got any breaks. Every mistake we made we got punished for. It was a disappointing result, but we will get over it.”

Without Gavin Watson, Simon Philbin, Chris Batten and Mark Deans – who had all played well in their drawn game with Ormiston the previous week – Royalists fielded two trialists in goalkeeper Sean Traynor and striker Kelvin Clamp.

Within 11 minutes, Traynor was picking the ball out of the net when Ross Aitchison took advantage of some slack defensive play to shoot home.

United increased their lead when Aitchison sent over a cross which was headed high into the air by Sean Simpson. As the ball dropped, Simpson got his head to it again and this time his effort found the target.

Two minutes later a bemused-looking Albert fell further behind. Clinton Sharkey tackled Leigh Walker in the penalty box. It appeared a fair enough challenge but Edinburgh referee Paul Hanlon awarded a spot kick from which Steven Shennan scored.

The Teries reduced the leeway before the break when Ross Wallace floated a free kick into the goalmouth and Malcolm Cooper beat home keeper Dean Avery with a powerful header.

In the first attack of the second half, Avery proved his worth again, diving to push away a shot on the run from Alan Campbell.

Eyemouth launched a raid immediately which ended in a goal when Walker stuck away a cross from the right.

Hawick replied with a spell of pressure, but it was the homesters who produced the scoring when Stuart Coyle nodded in a Shennan cross.

Following a Traynor handling error Shennan stretched Eyemouth’s lead further and towards the finish Walker completed the scoring.

Hawick Royal Albert: S. Traynor, C. Sharkey (D Prowse), R. Shepherd, C. Wilson, M. Cooper, S. Fraser, L. Lavery, R. Wallace, K. Clamp (S. McCulloch), S. Owens and A. Campbell (D. Devany).